Howling Good: Wolf Tales

I gotta confess, sometimes the mood hits me for a really hot read. You know, as in smokin’-until-my-insides-dissolve hot. Until my mattress spontaneously combusts while I’m reading. That kind of hot.

I rarely read “sweet” romances, but my tastes varies between steamy and downright scorching. And as long as the romance is strong and present, I’m open to who’s doing what and how often to whom. On Wednesday I blogged about F/F romances. Today we open the kimono and embrace variety in all its glory, which leads me to Wolf Tales.

Author Kate Douglas began her series, which ultimately resulted in twelve full novels, in January of 2006. The most recent Wolf Tales book was published in June of 2011. The basic premise of each story centers around characters who are able to transform into wolves. And ultimately, that’s what makes it interesting. The characters have sex with each other when they’re in human form, and they have sex with each other when they’re in wolf form. They have heterosexual relationships; they have homosexual relationships. They have sex between couples. They have sex in groups. To pound home my message, there’s a lot of scorching hot sex in these books. I like the fact that there are so many sensual, steamy scenes between the characters, but what I really like is the love the chacters have for one another.

These books aren’t just an orgy free-for-all. As one reviewer put it about the last book, “The depth of emotions that everyone feels in this book makes for a wonderful read.” Such is the case with all twelve books. I think the reason this super erotic series works is because the flaming sex is “coupled” (ha ha) with love stories that work.

Ultimately I think that’s what distinguishes readers of erotic romance from readers of erotica – erotic romance readers demand the romance as well as the heat. Yeah, it’s fun when the romance involves interesting and arousing situations. Our heroine who’s got not one but two heavenly hunks obsessed with her. Or maybe there’s a vampire lusting after her. Or perhaps our gal is some sort of other-worldly creature itself and goes out mating with whomever she darn well pleases. As long as the romance is there as well, I’m open to whatever lusty situations the writer wants to spring on me.

Check out Wolf Tales. They’re howlin’ good.

Until next time,

Elizabeth

• madelineiva
    September 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Who published it? Does each book center around one core relationship—or does the author have subplots where different relationships are forming with different kinds of sex in one book?

• Kate Douglas
    September 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm

The books are published by Kensington Publishing, available in print or ebook, and there are new relationships in each book along with various subplots of ongoing characters. Counting the novellas, there are 21 in the series, and I’m currently working on a “second generation” series, due out in Spring 2013. As I told Lady Smut, we’re in the process of moving and I”m trying to empty out the other house today, but will check back if you have any questions. And there are ALL KINDS of sexual relationships in each book, because the lead characters, the Chanku, are ruled by a powerful libido as well as a deep loyalty and love for the other members of the pack. You can read first chapters of all the stories at http://www.katedouglas.com/eroticromance.

• madelineiva
      September 28, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Hey Kate — thanks so much for replying– Love Kensington!

Also love the ability to read first chapters — I’m hoping on that link right now! Thanks. 🙂

• elizabethshore
      September 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm

One chapter and they’ll be hooked. Love the series! Thanks, Kate!

• LizEverly
      September 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Hey Kate, been meaning to check out your books. When you get a chance, I’d love to know your thoughts on writing a long series. Thanks for chiming in. Cheers!

• madelineiva
        September 28, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Oh, yes, me too please! I just read the Romance Writer’s Report from a few month’s back where they were talking about: “Things I wish I’d known before I started a long series” — but maybe that’s too much to tackle here in comments. Guest blog?

• LizEverly
      September 28, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Oh. My. Gawd. Love the first chapters. Off to purchase. 😉

• Kate Douglas
        September 29, 2012 at 3:22 am

LOL…so glad to hear that.

I’m home…moving out of a huge house built on five levels into a smaller one in town. Stuff is not going to fit, we’re still remodeling the one in town and I see a big yard sale in my future…plus finishing the current book. Now, to answer questions!

Writing a series–keep notes. COPIOUS notes! You might think you’ll remember details, but they tend to all blend together after a while. I made up character studies with photos for my characters so I could keep their images straight. By the time I reached Wolf Tales 12, I had over forty, including all the kids.Now that I’m doing my second generation series, those notes are invaluable.

Since this is erotic romance about shapeshifters, the things I noted, other than eye and hair color, general appearance, (height, weight, lean, bulky, etc) were educational background, where they were from, family background (a lot of that came up later in the series, so I added to my notes as stuff happened) and of course who everyone has had sex with, which guys were circumcised, what women shaved or waxed, what might be unusual sexual preferences (AJ Temple is gay, but when he has sex with a woman he wants oral sex and wants her to swallow, Mei Chen LOVES her toys and has a bit of the domme in her, Anton Cheval and Stefan Aragat love their mates, but really love sex with each other so they can get as sweaty, sticky and stinky as they want–I know, it sounds stupid, but those are the details that make each character unique, and you have to keep stuff like that straight and consistent.

I try to think in a character’s point of view within their particular voice. Even now, reading back through my series, I can recognize a character’s voice by the way he uses the language.

I’m not a plotter–I sit down with an idea of what I want to happen, and then channel the character who will tell the story. They rarely follow my “map,” so my books are truly “seat of the pants.” The truly bizarre thing though, is that while I was writing the series, there were certain things that never resolved, or that happened but didn’t really make sense to me at the time, but when I got to the final book, they all came together and I realized I’d led up to that final one without even planning it. I’m convinced that I must be working on a subconscious level that keeps track of all the little things that my conscious mind dismisses.

It’s always a good idea to have a main idea that holds your series together before you start. In the case of Wolf Tales, it was the fact that the Chanku shapeshifters were unaware of their heritage. Their ability to shift had been lost over time due to a goddess who wasn’t always paying attention. I didn’t realize that was the reason until I was well into the series, but it became a pivotal point for much of what happened.Another thing I wanted was a matriarchal society where the females had totally reproductive control, and where the men always defer to the women in important decisions. LOVE that part, and it worked well.

Anyway, if anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask and I will check back tomorrow and answer. I’m really beat tonight and need a long, hot shower if I want to be able to move in the morning! LOL…I think I’m too old to be lifting furniture, but we’ve moved a lot over the years, and we always do it ourselves. One of these days I need to hire someone!

On the other hand, my spouse still looks pretty damned hot carrying heavy things…

• LizEverly
    September 29, 2012 at 2:04 pm

“I’m convinced that I must be working on a subconscious level that keeps track of all the little things that my conscious mind dismisses.” I love this line, Kate. I feel like that, too, sometimes. Thanks so much for responding!

• Kate Douglas
      September 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

You’re welcome. Got five hours’ sleep, just reread what I wrote last night–please excuse the typos! Sheesh…now you know why I revise and revise and revise. Sometimes I just barf the story down on the page if the ideas are there, and when I go back it’s almost embarrassing to see how bad it is! But, it always seems to work. Go figure!

• elizabethshore
      September 29, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Really appreciate the insight, Kate. We’re tweeting about Wolf Tales this weekend. Thanks again for stopping by!

• Kate Douglas
        September 29, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Very cool. Thank you. I appreciate any and all promo. Would love to come chat when the new series comes out next May. Having such a good time writing the second generation characters’ stories!

• elizabethshore
          October 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm

We’ll be delighted to have you back! Consider the invitation extended.

• Teresa Kleeman
    September 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Wow,

I’m impressed with all the accomplishments you have done Kate. The Wolf series sounds so good. Thanks for sharing apart of your life. I wish you the best.

Teresa K.
    tcwgrlup41(at)yahoodotcom

• elizabethshore
      October 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Teresa!