Couples who read together . . .

By Elizabeth Shore

I have a good girlfriend who told me once that she and her boyfriend enjoyed reading passages from my historical erotic novella to each other as a prelude to lovemaking. She said reading to each other like that really got them in the mood for some good time fun. I was flattered – and happy to be of service! – but it also got me thinking about readers of erotic romance and the differences between the girls and the guys.

My assumption, and I dare say it’s likely a proven fact, is that the majority of erotic romance readers are women. The stories are written (largely) by women with the target readers being women. It works because women know what turns them on and write the steamy scenes knowing it will turn their readers on, too. There are variances, of course. Some women love the soft roses and candles kind of lovemaking while others squeal with delight when their guy has his way with them up against the wall. The talented writers out there still know their readers and know how to please them. But is erotic romance interchangeable? Do men read it? And would women enjoy reading erotic romance targeted for guys? I had a male friend once read a steamy section of one of my manuscripts. While he certainly seemed to enjoy reading it, his verdict at the end was that it was clearly written for a woman. Well, yeah. But I would argue mightily that plenty of female writers out there could whip out a story that would leave their male readers panting throughout.

Ellora’s Cave has a section on its site called EC For Men. Each of the covers shows a scantily clad female (men are visual, after all), and – unless the writers are actually men using female names – appear to be written by women. My question is, are men reading them or are women? I for one am going to download a few of them (for research purposes, naturally), and in a future post will give you my verdict. I can already say that I’m intrigued by the concept and I’d love it if a male reader out there would share his viewpoint as well.

Perhaps the conclusion is that we all just like reading hot stuff no matter who the intended audience, which is A-OK by me.

Meanwhile, follow us at LADYSMUT.COM.  Your fella will get all hot n bothered by what we have to say.

Sexy Saturday Round Up

Sexy Saturday Round Up

Sexy Saturday Round Up

• Liz Everly
    October 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Let us know your verdict! Great post! I have often wondered all of the same things. And I am intrigued by that Ellora’sCave line, as well.

• elizabethshore
      October 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Thanks, Liz! I’ll definitely let you know. Right now there are only 14 titles in that line. Don’t know if it’s just because it’s relatively new or if it’s not taking off. Stay tuned! 🙂

• madelineiva
    October 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I started replying to this, and before you know it, I had an entire blog post. Much to discuss here! I’ll save it for a pt. 2 post after you review EC for Men! 🙂

• elizabethshore
      October 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Awesome! It’s a fascinating topic and now I’ve got some reading to do!

• ellaquinnauthor
    October 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Interesting question. I’ll be interested to know the answer.

October 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Me too! By the way, Ella, are you going to the New Jersey conference this week? If so I’ll look for you!

• Barbara Mikula
    April 21, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I was amazed this year when a friend and her husband came to a party we have every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. As usual the ladies were sitting around the kitchen table and the guys were outside by the fire pit. Someone brought up my books, and this friend (who I had been nagging to read one of my books but she’s always too busy) got all excited and said, “You’ll never guess who’s your biggest fan.” I thought, well she’s finally read one of the books, when she said, “TIm loves them. He’s read them all.” Could have knocked me over with a feather that her husband, 6’5′ Tim, read all my books. He came into the kitchen and confirmed that he loved the books. Since this is erotic romance geared toward women, I was amazed. LOL – then she leaned over and said in a low voice, “He had to explain what bondage was to me.” You just never know who’s reading! – Skye Michaels

• Author Charmaine Gordon
      April 21, 2014 at 10:20 pm

My first love and I read steamy short books together never finishing before he dropped the book by the side of the bed and we acted out our own love story. Exciting and so much fun for a couple with six children. Those were the days, my friend, we thought they’d never end until one day it did. Happy with my second, he’s not the reading for stimulation kind. Oh well.
      Interesting post, Elizabeth.