Praising Men in Kilts

This weekend I attended Scottish Festival in Lexington, Va. Herding dogs gathered sheep on the grassy hillsides. The sun warmed the air,  but with a brisk wind from time to time kept it chilly. With the weather, and the mountains surrounding us, along with the bagpipes and Scottish music playing, you could almost swear you were in Scotland.

Lovely trinkets and crafts lined the festival grounds—chimes, hand carved wood boxes, and knives and swords.  I also enjoyed talking with some of the genealogists who were there. I found one of the names of my ancestors and learned that they were a Sept of the Donnachaida clan, which was huge and were mostly in the Highland area of central Scotland that I actually happen to be writing about right now. Kismet, my friends. My life is full of it.

I enjoyed all this, yes.

But mostly what I liked was this:

IMG_2681

No. Not him particularly though he did look pretty good. But I just love men in kilts. (Not all men in kilts, of course, and there were plenty of unattractive kilt-wearing men at the festival.) But for the most part, a man who wears a kilt with confidence one sexy man.

Maybe it speaks to my ancient gene pool, a “memory” if you will of Highland warriors or some other masculine prowess, tempered by something warm underneath.

I’m not the only one who likes men in kilts. Could it be one of the many reasons for popular Scottish historical romances? And Pinterest is full of pins of men in kilts, and don’t you know, I started a men in kilts pinterest board myself. Check it out here. http://pinterest.com/lizeverly/men-in-kilts/

What do you think? What is it about men in kilts?

Hey, What’s Your Number?

Age Is Just A Number Baby

Lord of the Ropes

• Pattie
    April 23, 2013 at 1:57 am

I admit I am fortunate enough to know a couple confident kilt wearing men. I agree that there is something primal about the way I view them. Hot. Damn hot. Right up there with firemen.

• LizEverly
    April 23, 2013 at 6:48 am

Wow. Lucky you. I agree. Damn hot!

• cmkempe
    April 23, 2013 at 7:43 am

LOL, my partner is a Scotsman. Not yet got him into a kilt. You usually only see them at weddings. Fortunately we’re going to a wedding next month. I’d never really been into the kilt worship, but it’s what people always ask me about my guy.

• LizEverly
      April 23, 2013 at 8:40 am

I’ve tried to get my man to wear one for our wedding 22 years ago. Nope. He said he’s not Scottish and would feel ridiculous. 😉

• cmkempe
        April 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Many non-Scottish men wear utilikilts!

• LizEverly
    April 23, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Reblogged this on Liz Everly and commented:

Men in Kilts!

• madelineiva
    April 23, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Does anyone know how the kilt wearing came to be? Or why if maybe others wore something similar way way back when it has continued to hang on in Scotland but nowhere else?

I love kilts so much, it’s just that kind of it’s-so-unmasculine-to-wear-a-skirt-that-it’s masculine thing. Like guys with two earring studs in their ears. Like how Johnny Depp as a be-ringed pirate with heavier eye-liner than I’ve ever worn in my life is actually pretty sexy.

Maybe it’s because the most masculine behavior in a guy is someone who’s comfortable with himself, and just owns it. For some reason kilt wearing is that kind of go big or go home masculine proposition. Sigh.

April 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I agree with you, Madeline. It’s so unsexy that it’s sexy. Plus, I like guys’ legs, and they’re deliciously easy to see under those kilts! Fun post, Liz!