It’s A Swamp Girl Thang

25 Apr

swam bredElizabeth Shore will be publishing a contemporary erotic romance with Wild Rose Press in the next year or so.  All I know is that it has snakes in it–a lot of snakes.  It’s also set in the Deep South and it’s super sexy.  A hot swampy snake-packed Deep South got me looking online and what I found were all these pulp novels from decades ago that played off the swamp woman motif.

Now, these novel covers ended up having nothing to do with Elizabeth Shore’s novel, but that didn’t prevent me from pouring over the images with a sort of perverse relish.  They were horrible-awful-forbidden.  Like urban legends, these books play up the worst stereotypes of the 50’s.  The predominate themes of an uninhibited woman/girl who “confuses lust and love” and mixes them together in a kind of proto-erotic romance.

"Wild and beautiful, she's as deadly as the untamed swamp that had spawned her."

“Wild and beautiful, she’s as deadly as the untamed swamp that had spawned her.”

So here they are — note how the text is your basic misogyny mixed with a dash of awe.  Themes dwell on outlaw or untamed female sexuality, innocence, and fearsome power.   (Isn’t it weird, and gross–and yet totally interesting?) We’ve come a long way, my fellow femmes.

And maybe Elizabeth will post on her upcoming book, setting us straight on how it’s so NOT this. ;>

Wild--Savage--Lusty

Wild–Savage–Lusty

"They fought for a man's love--the lady and the swamp girl"

“They fought for a man’s love–the lady and the swamp girl”

"she outwitted them all"

“But she outwitted them all!”

“She didn’t know the difference between lust and love.”

"She brought the heat of the swamp to a white man." Early bi-racial romance? Maybe--but probably just horribly racist.

“She brought the heat of the swamp to a white man.” Early bi-racial romance? Maybe–but probably just horribly racist.

Half animal--all woman.

Half animal–all woman.

Redneck Rampage.  It says that "Adventure is a man's magazine of exciting fiction and fact"

Redneck Rampage—Adventure is “a man’s magazine of exciting fiction and fact” Notice there’s a story by A. Conan Doyle featured.

8 Responses to “It’s A Swamp Girl Thang”

1. madelineiva April 29, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Reblogged this on madeline iva and commented:
    Pulp novel covers riffing on fearsome/lustful girls from the swamp. #horrible/sublime.

2. LizEverly April 26, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Fun post! And oh man, I love these covers. 😉

3. Elizabeth Shore April 25, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

I’m still laughing over “she’s as deadly as the untamed swamp that spawned her.” It’s hysterical. No, my book is *definitely* not that, but this post was a hoot. Thanks, Madeline!

• madelineiva April 26, 2013 at 7:01 am #

I hear it in my head like: “…as the untamed swamp that SPAWNED her” kind of a creature of the black lagoon thing but in a D cup.

4. madelineiva April 25, 2013 at 10:34 am #

That is too much!! The covers really are pretty amazing.

5. cmkempe April 25, 2013 at 10:00 am #

I had a copy of Swamp Hoyden! I gave away most of my pulps when I moved to Ireland, but man I love those covers 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Fun, Sexy Fun — Nice to Meet Ya! | madeline iva - March 18, 2015

[…] Snakes & The Single Girl […]

2. Snakes & The Single Girl | Lady Smut - July 10, 2014

[…] you’re the type that can’t get enough of all things girly and swampy, check out my SWAMP GIRL post  at LadySmut.com.  If you like sexy horror, check out my DARK PASSIONS post […]

Tell us what you think (but please respect the views of others)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )