The Next Bond: Idris Elba

by Madeline Iva

Elba's stint on The Wire showed he can play a man's man, and a ladies' man equally well.

Elba’s stint on The Wire showed he can play a man’s man, and a ladies’ man equally well.

I’m joining in with others who are voting for Idris Elba to play Bond in the next 007 film.  Many of you know him from the exceptionally excellent television show The Wire.  There he played Russell ‘Stringer’ Bell and walked away with the show in his pocket.

He also served a turn on The Office and showed that he has a sense of humor by playing an uptight corporate man with none.

Since then he’s mostly gone with science-fiction/horror movies.  He was in 28 Weeks later, Thor, and Prometheus (which was a prequell to Alien, sort of.  What it really was was a botched job of editing.) Soon he’ll be appearing in Pacific Rim, a kind of Godzilla remake.

Ultimately, Idris hits the sweet spot playing a ‘man’s man.’ His appeal to women when playing these roles is undeniable.

Idris Elba was a captivating villain on The Wire.

After his role on The Wire, Elba says major drug dealers come up to him on the street and confess all their dirty deeds.

Look, I loved Daniel Craig in Casino Royale, but as the Bond franchise keeps scrambling to keep themselves relevant, they need to be careful not to doing another Roger Moore–keeping an actor around so long he becomes a parody of the role.  I thought the latest Bond film–which so many loved–was dreadful.  Skyfall should have been called Sky fail.

Daniel Craig is at his best looking cold and unfeeling but with tortured pain at the back of his blue mica chip eyes.  Yet the franchise doesn’t want that look of pain to translate as back pain from a man doing too many stunts.

28 Weeks Later

Idris Elba is often cast as a man in charge. We like it when he’s in charge.

London is now an international city with a new demographic.  The Bond franchise seemed to run out of steam in the last film, as if they just didn’t know what to do with this relic of the past. Idris Elba is cast a lot as a man of the future–(remember all those sci-fi films?) and could highlight the changes that London and England are experiencing with the rise of the 21st century.

The whole franchise could freshen up and have new roads to travel with him.  We ladies, meanwhile, will get to spend a little more on screen time with a long tall drink of mmmhmmm. ;>

The next Bond.  We hope.

The next Bond. We hope.

• Kemberlee Shortland
    May 6, 2013 at 8:45 am

I’d like to see him in a tux with a British accent. He doesn’t seem the ‘shaken, not stirred’ type. Maybe an arch nemesis though. Or maybe I’m just Jaded from The Wire.

• madelineiva
      May 6, 2013 at 10:23 am

Well, he does have this “I can step back and see all this at a remove thing,” on The Wire. That’s just really sexy to me for some reason.

• Jenny Lyn (@JennyLynwrites)
    May 6, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m the opposite in that I really enjoy Daniel Craig as Bond and I adored Skyfall. But having said that I do feel Idris is a very underused actor. I’ve never seen The Wire but I’ve heard great things about it so I need to check it out on DVD. Have you seen Rocknrolla? It’s one of my all-time favs and Idris is one of the main characters.

• madelineiva
      May 6, 2013 at 10:25 am

Under-used! Yes–exactly. I mean, let’s face it–there never has been a bond that can do that white-hot-anger-into-cold thing that Daniel Craig does. I bow down to that kind of charisma. Do you like Jeremy Renner? Do you think they have a similar charisma? I guess the lasted Bourne movie with Rachel Weisz (married to Craig, you probably know) kept making me want to compare them in my mind.

May 6, 2013 at 10:06 am

Try as I might – and believe me, I’ve tried a lot – Bond movies just don’t do it for me. However, Idris Elba *definitely* does it for me. So I’m certainly with you on the call out for more him. I might even see Pacific Rim just to get a little sippa Idris! 🙂

• madelineiva
      May 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

DH is a Bond fanatic, so I get dragged along. I really really liked Casino Royal. Mostly because I’m obsessed with Eva Green who played Vespa. She’s another under-used actor.

• cmkempe
        May 6, 2013 at 11:29 am

I loved Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace, too. but I detested Skyfall — totally Americanised including getting rid of all the women. And making him suddenly “to the manor born” which is ALL WRONG. But at least Scottish!

• cmkempe
    May 6, 2013 at 11:27 am

As I pointed out on FB, he *is* British despite starring in American shows. I will always remember him fondly in the “Sex” episode of Absolutely Fabulous — hee! 🙂

• madelineiva
      May 6, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I did NOT see that episode of Ab-Fab. Will have to check it out.

• ellaquinnauthor
    May 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Am I the only one who liked Roger Moore? Tweeted.

• madelineiva
      May 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I’ll give him this though: he was as iconoclastic a part of the 80’s as Regan and Thatcher. Together they formed an axis of immaculately coiffed hair the likes of which we’ll never see again.