Finnish Sauna

By C. Margery Kempe

What could be more iconic than the Finnish sauna?

My cousin Helka asked me if I wanted one the first day I arrived at her cottage. After a long day of travel it sure sounded good. Oskari and Antti got the fires going, one for the hot water (to wash afterward) and the other for the sauna itself. I had a sauna each night I was there. It was wonderful!

2013-08-03 09.39.38

The beautiful wood: where every sauna begins.

2013-08-05 06.10.20

Wood benches, the bucket and ladle, and of course, the birch whisks; Jussi made these in the traditional style.

2013-08-03 09.46.20

My bed was right outside the sauna.

2013-08-03 10.18.52

If you’re adventurous, you can cool off by running down to the river and jumping in. Refreshing! So I’m told…

2013-08-04 18.14.01

But after a sauna, most enjoy the fine taste of a Karhu beer. Well, I did.

2013-08-04 22.22.28

Late night twilight; at latitude 65° N, night is brief in August.

August 16, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Finnish saunas are heavenly! Many people don’t realize that Finns invented the sauna. But with the bitter cold winters they have, it’s only fitting! I’ve done the diving into a lake thing after the sauna but haven’t yet been adventurous enough to roll around in the snow in the winter!

• cmkempe
      August 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Really? Who do they think did invent them? Huh.

• Misty Dietz
    August 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm

LOVE! My great grandparents had a sauna in their house. Funny how they make me feel like I’m suffocating. Suppose it’s one of those #you’redoingitwrong things? LOL My hubs loves them, though. 🙂

• cmkempe
      August 16, 2013 at 8:12 pm

They must use too much steam. It’s mostly dry heat with a little splash of steam from time to time.

• Misty Dietz
        August 16, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Too much steam sounds right. Looks like I have to go to Finland to get the real thing. 🙂

• cmkempe