Gimme Some Ichabod: Thank God It’s October!

3 Oct
Crane

Sleepy Hollow has a great horseman, and a great Ichabod. Too bad it’s really kinda stupid. 😦

By Madeline Iva

It’s October already.  I think October is becoming my favorite month of the year.

Blog List for October:

-Loving Monsters

-Masquerade

-Does Zombie Lust Count as Necrophilia?

Meanwhile, gimme some of that Ichabod Crane guy.  The actor is Tom Milson and he is a long tall drink of water. I could stare at him all day, but tell me honestly readers–do you like the TV show? Not to be a hater or anything, but I can’t STAND it!

Bill...wait! You're not Bill...Stephen Moyer playing in ANOTHER vamp/synthetic blood TV show.

Bill…wait! You’re not Bill…Stephen Moyer playing in ANOTHER vamp/synthetic blood TV show.

There’s another show you could watch instead.  A show that’s about vampires, with Stephen Moyer, vampires and a synthetic blood plot line.  No, astonishingly, it’s not TRUE BLOOD–it came out years before True Blood.  It’s a British show called ULTRA VIOLET cancelled after six measly episodes.  It had a young (hot!) Stephen Moyer in it and was like True Blood meets X Files.

I kind of like these shows that don’t go heavy on the special effects.  They rely more on character.  When they are successful they create a sense of impending doom — like this show does –and I just love it.  The impending doom of humanity’s future lurks just off screen, in the viewers imagination.  (Now that’s what I call successful TV!)

Another reason to watch is that the show stars Idris Alba.  You can find the show on Hulu.com.Ultra

But if you’re sick of TV and want some paranormal goodness in your life, might I suggest a little YA paranormal romance? I recently bought these three hot titles: VAMPIRE ACADEMY, FALLEN and DIVERGENT.

I have a bone to pick with Vampire Academy.  It’s pretty okay, but it reads like there was some book that came before it.  Major summation of back story.  Yawn! Annoying.  Whatever.

Vampire

Divergent meanwhile, is a Hunger Games wannabe.  DivergentAnd so my hopes are on Fallen.  Going to start it tonight.  Southern Goth(ic)–we’ll see.  Updates to come.Fallen

So how do you celebrate glorious October? Do you par-tay? Do you like scaring kids who come to your house for Halloween? (It’s so sad most kids don’t go trick or treating anymore.) Do you break out the dry ice to create a witch’s brew–or celebrate with a horror film fest for your friends and loved ones? (My favorite horror film is THE SHINING, followed by SCREAM and ROSEMARY’S BABY.)

Leave a comment–and pretty please follow our blog. 🙂

11 Responses to “Gimme Some Ichabod: Thank God It’s October!”

1. Elizabeth Shore October 3, 2013 at 9:04 am #

October! Without a doubt my favorite month of the year.

So I was all set to watch Sleepy Hollow. I recorded two weeks’ worth of episodes on it and was looking forward to checking it out. But then our cable box crapped out so we had to exchange it for another one and I lost all the shows I had recorded. I was pissed! Clearly there are other things to do, but I love my shows and now that Dexter’s over (and let’s talk about that series finale – horrendous!) I needed a new one. Drat! I had such hopes for that show.

Ultra Violet sounds goods. Idris Alba sounds better. 🙂 Thanks for the recommendation. Secondly, wow, do I ever love the cover of Fallen! Beautiful. That alone is enough to make me read the book. Thanks, Madeline!

• Madeline Iva October 3, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Poor Elizabeth!

My problem is that I am trying to find New Adult and stumbling all over this Y.A. stuff instead. I lust over that cover too. It’s just that I wanted something super-southern gothic spooky, but it’s more on the quirky academy reincarnation side of things.

• Elizabeth Shore October 3, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

All is not lost! Just realized I can get it on demand, so I can watch and be the tiebreaker between you and Alexa. 🙂

2. C. Margery Kempe October 3, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Totally my favourite month! October Country! The smell of the leaves and the Samhain bonfire. Wonderful.

3. Kiersten Hallie Krum October 3, 2013 at 10:17 am #

I *LOVE* Sleepy Hollow. Snarky, swift, scary, deep mythology and tall, dark, and British. Loving it!!

• Madeline Iva October 3, 2013 at 11:18 am #

I’ve tried two episodes and I’m just not making it through. I guess it’s not dark and shadowy enough for me maybe to find it as scary as I’d like–though the horseman is way cool. Tall british, yes. I could stare at him all day. And even Orlando Jones is cool. Maybe it’s just me. I dunno….

• Alexa Day October 4, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

I’m all about Sleepy Hollow, too, especially the folklore. Black heroine, hot Ichabod, John Cho, John Cho, and John Cho. Plus John Cho is in it. Yeah, I can get behind that. 🙂

4. LizEverly October 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

I love October and I love celebrating the month in the actual month. Seems like the retailers around here have had Halloween stuff out since the end of August. I’m seeing bits and pieces of Christmas creeping in. Hate that. I don’t know any of the shows you all are talking about–as usual. 😉 But I have started watching Wilfred, which is the funniest thing I’ve seen in a LONG time.

• Madeline Iva October 4, 2013 at 11:59 am #

We share a common friend who’s put down her foot about “October before October.” As a result of her influence I’ve waited to buy my pumpkins this weekend instead of last weekend.

5. Alexa Day October 4, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Halloween is my favorite holiday, but for the last couple of years, I’ve had to throw together a costume at the last minute from the multitude of costume fragments in my closet. We don’t get any trick-or-treaters here, which is a bummer, but there are lots of dance parties around here for grown people.

To further celebrate the scary season, I like to snuggle up with a scary book! It’s a good time to re-read Dracula or Frankenstein, and I keep some Sherri L. King on hand for just such an occasion. I especially like Ray Bradbury this time of year, too — maybe that’s when we were assigned Bradbury in school?

As for TV, Scandal started last night. It pained me to ditch Project Runway before it was over, but ditch it I did. 🙂