Five Reasons Why Ghosts Make Better Lovers

day of dead skullHappy Day of the Dead!

Halloween is too good to let go of too soon, so if we slide into our remembrances of the dead, it’s the perfect time to say once more that Love doesn’t end with death. Ghostly lovers have long been a staple of romance. While intangible lovers seem to have an insurmountable problem, surely the eternal nature of their love is something to sigh for. And they do have advantages:

1) Nothing to do but think of you

Surely there’s something appealing in a lover who has nothing but time to spend thinking of you, watching you adoringly and available for amusing conversation any time day or night because where else do they have to be?

2) Scare away unsuitable would-be lovers

Don’t you be fooled by that caddish George Sanders look-alike who charms you for a while before revealing his nefarious purpose. Your ghostly lover isn’t fooled for a moment and that’s why the vase keeps getting knocked over!

3) Timeless style

Okay, maybe Hollywood is lying but ghostly lovers seem most likely to die wearing snappy Edwardian clothing or stylish Victorian garb. Who needs a trend-grabbing lover in disco threads or 80s hair? Style all the way!

4) Someone to watch over you

As Ella (and Frank and just about every singer worth their salt) has sung, there’s a lovely feeling of safety in knowing someone’s got your back everywhere:

There’s a somebody
I’m longin’ to see
I hope that he turns
Out to be
Someone to watch over me

5) Waiting for you

When the inevitable end comes as it must to us all, isn’t it nice to know that you don’t have to face it alone? Let your eternal lover take your hand and lead you into “The undiscovered Country, from whose bourn / No Traveller returns” and be reunited once more.

Some of the most fun ghost love stories: what have I missed?

Don’t forget to sign up for all our updates!

• LizEverly
    November 1, 2013 at 9:05 am

Fun post! I thought of the Ghost and Mrs. Muir immediately. But you already have it. It’s a good question. I’m not sure how many others there are.

• C. Margery Kempe
      November 1, 2013 at 9:13 am

I know! I had thought to do the usual ten and then couldn’t think of enough films that I liked. >_<

November 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

I LOVED Somewhere In Time. I may have seen it at a time when I was first discovering/becoming aware of romance and romantic things, but I remember just absolutely falling in love with that movie. And I think I’ve actually only seen it once.

Fun post, Kate! Now I’m going to need to update my Netflix queue.

• C. Margery Kempe
      November 1, 2013 at 10:17 am

Filmed in my home state on Mackinac Island! Gorgeous underrated film.

• Kemberlee Shortland
    November 1, 2013 at 9:49 am

Technically, I don’t think Somewhere in Time classifies as ghost romance. It’s certainly time travel. Though they are ghosts by the end. Anyone who watched that clip and doesn’t get teary eyed obviously hasn’t seen this movie. I lost count over 100. Now I want to watch again and my dvd is in storage!

• C. Margery Kempe
      November 1, 2013 at 10:18 am

Hee, yes, I cheated a little there. But it’s such a lovely romance — from Richard Matheson who’s also written some great horror, too.

• Kemberlee Shortland
        November 1, 2013 at 10:32 am

I have a first edition of Bid Time Return by Richard Mattheson. Lovely story. I read it after seeing Somewhere in Time a few times so it was easy seeing Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour in the book.

• Lindsay Edmunds
    November 15, 2013 at 8:32 am

And there’s always TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY.

• C. Margery Kempe
      November 15, 2013 at 9:01 am

Oh sob! How could I forget?! I think it was the trauma. BEST LOVE STORY EVER.

• Madeline Iva
      November 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Yes — I was going to say exactly the same as CMK, Linday — BEST GHOST LOVE STORY EVAH!