Smut in Office: May All Your Bedfellows Be So Strange

By Alexa Day

Election Day is this week in Virginia and in a few other places across this great nation of ours. Like many dedicated citizens, I’m looking forward to it because I am sick to death of listening to political ads.

Some of you are starting to push back from the table. Don’t worry. I would never bring politics into our time together on Sunday morning. Seriously. I like everyone here too much to do that.

I would, however, post pictures of hot people playing politicians in the movies and on the television set. That’s right. No real politicians. No political content. That’s my pre-election promise to YOU.

Here’s Tony Goldwyn. He’s keeping Thursday hot as President Fitzgerald Grant from Scandal. He’s entirely too hot to be President, I think.

Not too late to start watching Scandal, you know. Time for November sweeps and all.

In fairness, Tony has been hot for years. After Kiss the Girls, I know I wasn’t the only one who wanted him to read the phone book. The big Manhattan phone book. Because I, my friends, am that sort of a sicko.

"Please, Alexa. Please, not the phone book again."

“Please, Alexa. Please, not the phone book again.”

Because Fitz is at his hottest with Olivia Pope, here’s one more.

My favorite fixer knows how to handle a little pressure from the leader of the free world.

Speaking of people too hot to be President, check out John Cusack as President Nixon in The Butler.

It'll take more than that killjoy frown to turn this handsome fellow into President Nixon.

It’ll take more than that killjoy frown to turn this handsome fellow into President Nixon.

How did he manage to avoid Historically Accurate Uglification for this movie? No, I’m not kidding. Did you even recognize Alan Rickman? I feel bad even telling people he was in the film because I didn’t know that was him until someone told me. Here’s John again, this time right next to the real Tricky Dick.

I see just a shade of resemblance here. Now it's like seeing President Nixon, and President Nixon's younger, hotter cousin.

I see just a shade of resemblance here. Now it’s like seeing President Nixon, and President Nixon’s younger, hotter cousin.

Am I sidestepping James Marsden as JFK? Yes, I am. I’m just being capricious about it.

As he ages, Sean Penn is making that wonderful metamorphosis from hot to sexy to compelling (which is white hot). This is one of my favorite shots of him, from All the King’s Men.

Is he sexy because he's a demagogue, or is he a demagogue because he's sexy?

Is he sexy because he’s a demagogue, or is he a demagogue because he’s sexy?

I’ve never seen it, so I don’t know what he’s on about. Even if I did know what he was talking about, I wouldn’t say so here because I promised I wouldn’t. But I love how alive he looks here, all flushed and bright-eyed with passion. He’s on fire.

I know I must be missing someone. Who else is making politics hot? You know the rules – no real politicians and no political content. Bringing sex and politics together in the most superficial way available. You’re welcome!

We’ll be here after the elections. Follow us and see.

Sexy Saturday Round Up

Sexy Saturday Round Up

Sexy Saturday Round Up

November 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Fun post, Alexa! Truly the best and only way to enjoy politics. 🙂

• Alexa Day
      November 3, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Glad you enjoyed! You know me, always trying to remove depth and dimension from weighty issues like politics. 🙂

• LizEverly
    November 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I like Kevin Spacey in “House of Cards.” He’s not the Prez, but he’s hot…Great post!

• Alexa Day
      November 3, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Kevin is another one making that transition from sexy to compelling — he’s spent a nice long time in sexy, though. I think all the power must be making him hot. Perhaps the whole matter demands an extensive course of study. 🙂

• Madeline Iva
    November 4, 2013 at 9:15 am

Part of me wants to lob out Rob Lowe in West Wing, cause it’s the first thing I thought of, but really, I’d take Allison Janey over Rob in terms of sexy.

I still hold that Peter Capaldi as a Scottish Political bully in IN THE LOOP and James Gandolfini were pretty damn hot. Peter (the new Dr. Who btw) had a slightly younger Scottish bully side kick, who was also, yes, pretty damn hot. Sometimes I didn’t understand the specific cultural context of a specific obscene reference, but frankly I didn’t care.

And Tony Goldwyn doesn’t have enough eyebrows for me. What’s hot is a prominent bi-racial romance on national TV. Oh, Alexa, why do a lot of folks think Kerry Washington is an under the radar lesbian? How did that bru-ha-ha start?

• Alexa Day
      November 5, 2013 at 9:59 pm

You know, I was going to say haters gon’ hate. But the content of the rumor is not actually hateful; it’s just inaccurate. Kerry Washington told someone in an interview that she’s been photographed with an arm around another woman or something like that, and that society is evidently so uncomfortable with the idea of women being casually affectionate with each other that many people decide to sexualize it. It’s kind of like something I saw on Facebook (that font of wisdom, right?): Kindness is so rarely seen in our society that people often mistake it for flirtation.

I’ve heard what you say about Tony Goldwyn’s eyebrows, but I’ve never thought about it. When I think of him, I tend to visualize either a really dark room, or I imagine him behind me and just to the right. *looks over shoulder* Dammit. I’ll never get to sleep now.

James Gandolfini was really hot, in a way that made a girl really think and consider what was hot about him. But how has Rob Lowe gotten this far without getting any sexier? Another matter for serious study. 🙂