A Man Who can MOVE, baby

By Liz Everly

Am I the only woman who has a list of famous men she’d like to dance with? I wonder. Even though I’m not a professional dancer, I danced for many years, as do my daughters now, and I’ve spent a lot of time in dance studios and around other dancers. I don’t know if that’s why I’m so attracted to men who move well. I’ve never dated a sloucher or a man who shuffles his feet along as he walks. I like a man with confidence in his movement.

My list of men I’d like to dance with could go on a bit—I warn you. But I’ve decided to give myself a limit.  I use the number five in many of my posts. So I decided to try to stick with that, but I went just a bit over.

1. Mikhail Baryshnikov. The very definition of a gorgeous, graceful, elegant man. Can you imagine what it would be like to dance in his arms? It might be quite like floating.images-2
  2. Patrick Stewart. Just one waltz, please, while wearing his Star Trek outfit. En-gage.images-3
  3. Robert Duvall. Because I’ve always wanted to learned to Tango. And he lives in Virginia, so it could be arranged. (Robert, have your people call my people, okay?)155816__tango_l
  4. Harry Connick Jr. Because, well, why not? He seems very graceful and he could sing in my ear as we dance. That’s always a plus.images-4
  5. Dave Matthews. Because he rocks my world. I love watching Dave sing and move, rocking across the stage. And hey, in lives in Virginia, too. We need to go clubbing one night. Just one night will do.images-5
  6. Tom Jones. The last time I saw him performing was just as energetic and raw as the first time. The man’s got some moves. images-67. Usher.Very graceful and confident. Love to watch the man move. Even placing his sunglasses on…

So what do you think of my list? Are there any you’d add or subtract? Who would YOU like to dance with?

• jayandrew25
    January 7, 2014 at 2:27 am

Al Pacino and the tango from “Scent Of A Woman” does it for me every time. And of course the dancing loon that is Tom Hiddleston – I’d like to hit the dancefloor with him.

• Tara S.
    January 7, 2014 at 5:34 am

Love your list! I would add Patrick Swayze – even if he’s not with us anymore. Come on – No one puts Baby in the corner. 🙂 And Justin Timberlake – I think he’d be so much fun to dance with.

• LizEverly
      January 7, 2014 at 5:59 am

I agree! Both of them belong on my list!

• LizEverly
    January 7, 2014 at 5:50 am

Oh yes, Pacino! How could I forget that scene? Thanks for commenting.

• Madeline Iva
    January 7, 2014 at 8:18 am

There was something on the BBC about scientists saying how men dance reveals their coordination and fitness level for mating. Have to say that I have my doubts about Dave Matthews–but apparently he’s into mountain biking, so he must be a little coordinated.

• Author Charmaine Gordon
    January 7, 2014 at 9:46 am

Love, love, love this post!!!!!!Mikhail, I need you now; Patrick Swayze–never to be forgotten, Robert Duval and Al Pacino, tango please and more, baby; and, and, and Gregory Hines with or without tap shoes. And being one of the oldest fan of Lady Smutville- George Raft, Fred Astaire-Oh my, and Gene Kelly. Heaven-literally.

My first sweet husband and I taught dance and won many prizes. My second dear husband can’t dance or sing but nice between the sheets. YES!
    Thanks again for a terrific post.

• C. Margery Kempe
    January 7, 2014 at 10:58 am

I got to see Barishnikov on stage. A delight.

I’d add Gene Kelley, Fred Astaire, Eric Morecambe — Cary Grant!

• LizEverly
    January 7, 2014 at 11:28 am

Thanks for your comments, ladies. Great additions to the list!

• LizEverly
    January 7, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Reblogged this on Liz Everly and commented:

A man who can MOVE, baby

January 7, 2014 at 4:54 pm

He’s already been mentioned, but the first name that popped in my head was Gene Kelly. Beautiful *and* athletic style, just wonderful. Oh, to be Cyd Charisse for a day and dance a la American in Paris with Gene. My idea of heaven.

• Alexa Day
    January 7, 2014 at 11:00 pm

What a great post! The most patient human being in all the world has been trying to teach me to tango for a very, very long time. I think it must be like trying to teach a horse to tango. But on those afternoons when I thought I should just quit and spare my instructor further agony, I would think of Al Pacino. But now I know Robert Duvall can also tango *and* lives here in Virginia. Another great reason to get my practice on!

Aside from those two, I would really love to take a turn around the floor with Christopher Walken. That guy can definitely move! And I’ve always had a huge crush on Mikhail. Much as I’d love to dance with him, I’d be worried about standing on him, tripping on myself (don’t laugh, my tango instructor has seen it happen), or melting into an undignified little puddle. Totally worth it, of course! But I’d worry all the same. 🙂

• cpmandara
    January 8, 2014 at 4:41 am

I’m with you. Why is dancing so sexy? And why do 90% of men hate it! Salsa classes are a sure fire way to meet lots of women without much competition – and it’s got to be better than speed dating, right? ~laughs~

• Madeline Iva
      January 8, 2014 at 11:35 am

It is sooooo sexy — you’re so right! I have a friend who started doing salsa to meet men, and they were so open and nice to her.

• Kayelle Allen (@kayelleallen)
    January 8, 2014 at 8:55 am

The first names I thought of were Tom Hiddleston and Gene Kelly. Looks like I fit right in here, judging by the comments.

• Author Charmaine Gordon
    January 8, 2014 at 10:05 am

I had the pleasure of dancing with Christopher Walken in a movie long ago. “The King of New York”. Not during a scene, during a break. Music playing, actors snacking and I swayed to the music. He grabbed me around the waist and we tripped the light fantastic. Sweet times. If a man knows how to dance, the woman should move in close and follow. It works.

• Madeline Iva
      January 8, 2014 at 11:34 am

You lucky duck! Oh, I envy you.

• LizEverly
      January 8, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Following is a problem for me. But maybe I’ve never had the right partner. Heh.

• Alexa Day
      January 8, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Oh, Charmaine, wowie wow wow. 😉

When a man can lead, it’s a delight to follow — I can attest to that.

• JO
    January 9, 2014 at 6:46 am

John Travolta, Barack Obama, Stephen Moyer, Ian Somerholder

• Madeline Iva
      January 9, 2014 at 9:06 am

Steven Moyer can dance? Where have I been?