Funny Women are Sexy!

1/24 Slide Ab Fabby C. Margery Kempe

Back in 1994, I had a weekend that seemed to be on a downward spiral. My car died, quietly and suddenly, and I was stranded in the part of Connecticut that people don’t talk about: the Quiet Corner. This was my experience of the state when I moved there from Cambridge: I drove past the campus, looking for the little college town. Must be the other way, I thought after driving a few miles and seeing only cows and pastures. So I turned around.

Nope.

So I was adjusting to country life after my funky town and losing a car was like losing a valuable limb. It was a blow, canceling all my weekend plans. Then I turned my head. No, literally (and I do mean literally) and suddenly I was in so much pain that I could not move it again.

Joy. I ended up spending the weekend lying on my friend’s couch in pain, almost immovable. I had a television to entertain me. I mostly hate television especially in the States because it means endless, repetitive commercials. But I got a gift that weekend, for which I thank the comedy gods forever because Comedy Central debuted Absolutely Fabulous that weekend with a non-stop marathon (well, non-stop except for advertisements, d’oh!) and I had a new favorite show — one that I have bonded with so many other women over.

Most women will tell you that a man who makes them laugh is miles ahead of the competition, but it seems to be a rare man who appreciates a funny woman. Why? Because it means we’re smart and quick thinking? Sorry, but if you’re intimidated by a woman being funny, you’re really not worth the effort. Here’s to the funny women!

Who are your fave funny women?

Be sure to follow the Lady Smut women — all kinds of things happening around here you’ll want to know about!

• Sotia Lazu
    February 21, 2014 at 4:11 am

(Apologies in advance for the randomness and abuse of Caps Lock.)

OH MY GOD, I’M WRITING A BOOK ABOUT THAT! The 4th or 5th line is “Fun is sexy.”

This post made my day:-) Oh, and I love Absolutely Fabulous!

• Kiersten Hallie Krum
    February 21, 2014 at 10:13 am

Freaking *love* AbFab and think Fey and Poehler are the best thing to happen to the Golden Globes since they started serving booze at the awards ceremony (which they’ve always done).

Funny women are the best, especially because they have to work harder at it, being for the most part, sexy, appealing, and funny while men usually only have to have one of the three to succeed. Just look at the crap Sarah Silverman (who I actually do not find to be funny, but to each his/her own) gets for her routines being shamed for using rough language and subjects because a woman shouldn’t talk like that…

• C. Margery Kempe
      February 21, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I feel the same way about Silverman — I’m not especially fond of her sense of humor but I defend her fiercely because she does get that abuse.

Fey and Poehler are awesome, too. AbFab is just the BEST.

February 21, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I’m kind of up and down with Silverman. Sometimes I’ve found her funny, other times not at all, but she’s got a set of brass balls on her and for I admire her.

I actually found Ellen DeGeneres to be really funny in her early standup days, before her geeky show.

• C. Margery Kempe
      February 22, 2014 at 5:29 am

Television makes a lot of compromises. I saw Leno back in the day when I lived in Boston — he was always wicked fast and funny. But network grinds you down.

• Madeline Iva
    February 21, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I think Janeane Garofalo is the shiz. Never got enough of her. Love AB FAB, love all the women in that brit show GREEN WING. I could go on and on–but I still think that we need more women comedy!

• C. Margery Kempe
      February 22, 2014 at 5:29 am

A LOT more.

• Madeline Iva
        February 22, 2014 at 11:08 am

I forgot to say — Nighty Nite is the BEST most F-ed up thing evah! So glad to know you like it too. So twisted, so very very good.

• C. Margery Kempe
    February 23, 2014 at 4:16 am

Julia Davis is brill.

• C. Margery Kempe
    February 26, 2014 at 8:22 am

Reblogged this on C. Margery Kempe and commented:

Truth!

• jayandrew25
    February 26, 2014 at 8:49 am

My favourites – Glasgow comedian Janey Godley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75_lwKDHXQs and Jo Brand in “Getting On.”

• C. Margery Kempe
      February 26, 2014 at 9:06 am

Jo is always wonderful — and I love following Janey on Twitter!

• SL Johnson
    February 26, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Imogene Coca, Carole Lombard, Rosalind Russell, Tina Fey, Catherine O’Hara, Andrea Martin, Carol Burnett, Edie Adams, Jessica Walter, Amy Sedaris….