Wild Scotland

4 Apr

like honeyby C. Margery Kempe

In our celebration of Liz Everly’s tempting new Like Honey the LS crew have been waxing rhapsodic about all things Scottish. Well, sort of. There’s a strange obsession about a kind of romantic Scotland in a lot of Americans. Somehow it by-passed me altogether. Don’t get me wrong: I love a man in a kilt. However, living in Scotland I know when you see a man in a kilt, look around for tourists or a wedding party, because that’s mostly where you see men in kilts.

😉

I’m in Scotland (or rather, I will be back in a few days) because I fell for a Scotsman. He didn’t ride up on his horse, fully kilted from the Highlands. Not sure I would have been impressed by that. But I have been impressed by the incredible natural beauty of Scotland.

Loch Ness

Loch Ness

Last October I stayed in Orkney for a wee while with friends, one of whom was studying pottery there. It’s a bit of a hike up there from Dundee — two trains, a ferry and then a car ride into the interior but it was completely worth it. The moon was high when I arrived and the night blustery, but my friends drove me to the Ring of Brodgar so it would be my first impression of the island. So worth it.

Ring of Brodgar

Ring of Brodgar

The visit filled me with inspiration, from the seaside town of Stromness to the mysteries of Maes Howe. I have a wonderful novel percolating on the back burner that came from looking out to sea from Skara Brae.

How could you not be inspired?

How could you not be inspired?

I want to spend more time in the Highlands, there are stories awaiting me, I just know it. And in the mean time, I live in a city with a dragon. What could be more magical?

The Dundee dragon

The Dundee dragon

Satisfy your hunger with a copy of Like Honey. And don’t forget to follow Lady Smut for all your news.

8 Responses to “Wild Scotland”

1. C. Margery Kempe April 9, 2014 at 8:40 am #

Reblogged this on C. Margery Kempe and commented:

Ah, Orkney!

2. Madeline Iva April 4, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

So fascinating that a place that’s been occupied for so long still has such wild beauty.

• C. Margery Kempe April 5, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

Many parts of it have not really been much occupied.

• Elizabeth Shore April 6, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

I’ve had the pleasure of being in Scotland only once, but I really loved it. So stunning! And I really did have the feeling more than once of how it seemed there were vast tracts of land completely unoccupied. Talk about unspoiled nature. It seemed as if I were seeing the exact same sights as did Robert the Bruce, and the beauty made me feel how one could want to fight for such a land.

3. Liz Everly April 4, 2014 at 10:57 am #

LOVE this post. Thanks for mentioning LIKE HONEY!

4. Barbara Mikula April 4, 2014 at 7:06 am #

Just beautiful! I love the dragon.

Tell us what you think (but please respect the views of others)