Man Giz & Rock Star Romance Research: Q&A with Carlene Love Flores

24 Apr
Clive Owen and Monica Bellucci having sex in SHOOT 'EM UP.  Monica is a call girl who caters to a very special clientele.

Clive Owen and Monica Bellucci having sex in SHOOT ‘EM UP. Monica is a call girl who caters to a very special clientele.

MADELINE IVA: Carlene, what’s the most shocking thing you’ve ever written about?

CARLENE LOVE FLORES: Hi! Oh! This is interesting timing that you’ve asked me this as I just recently found out erotic lactation is not the sexy, romantic fantasy I imagined it being! I’m enough of a newbie not to have known it was taboo when I submitted a short hot mess with that as the main theme.

MADELINE IVA: My first involuntary response is ‘Ew.’

But if you followers out there are suddenly panting over the idea, I will refer you to a really puerile Clive Owen movie called SHOOT ‘EM UP which does contain the suggestion of lactation sex.  (Why do I even mention this horrible film??? A: because I don’t like to suffer alone. and B: while Clive Owen can be sexy as hell, at heart he’s a total goofball.  This movie proves it.)

The blogger in me, however gives you double plus points for starting off ANY INTERVIEW ON PLANT EARTH by referencing erotic lactation.  I mean, you’ve definitely got my full attention.  Go Carlene.  Gold star.

Do we always separate sexy & babies in this MILF age?

Do we always separate sexy & babies in this MILF age?

CARLENE LOVE FLORES: I completely understood the decision to pass on it but it did get me thinking… a woman can ingest man giz but a man taking breast milk is a no-no. Why?? I asked hubby and his best answer was, “Breast milk signifies life.” Which of course made me think, “So do sperm!” I’m really curious to know what you think about this. Is there a gross factor and why am I not grossed out by it? What’s wrong with me, Madeline????

MADELINE IVA: I don’t know, Carlene. I do know I shall from now on refer to ejaculate as man giz.  ;>

Seriously, people fall all over the map on the topic of what’s sexy vs. what’s gross.  You’re out there–way out there, and yet your logic is pretty flawless.  I think the opposition would suggest breast milk is for babies, and thinking about babies in relation to sex is gross.  Yet some would disagree–essentially equating fertility with sexy.  Do we always separate sexy & babies in this MILF age? For instance there’s that moment where you’re having such amazing sex that you compulsively scream out ‘I want your baby!’ You know?

But enough about sex and babies.  So, Sin Pointe – how did you come up with this community?

Sin Pointe, somewhere near Buggscuffle Tennessee

Sin Pointe, somewhere near Buggscuffle Tennessee

CARLENE LOVE FLORES:  I knew there were already hot romances out there chronicling the bad boys of rock n roll. I decided I wanted my books to be about the whole rock family and not necessarily their life on stage. In the Sin Pointe series, you’ll find stories about the jaded personal assistant, the quirky webmaster, the ambitious opening act and yes, the bad boys of the band too. They just won’t be sexing it up on a tour bus because I thought it would be fun to pluck them up out of Rock Star, California and plop them down in tiny, out of the way towns like Bugscuffle, Tennessee…where they are free to romp around in the buff, get into loads of naughty trouble and yes, sex it up quite a bit. They’re just more likely to do it by a creek or at Grandma’s.

MADELINE IVA: What draws you to write about rock n roll singers? Has your research revealed any interesting tid-bits about ‘the life’? Or is it sheer boredom that leads bands into sin?

CARLENE LOVE FLORES: Watching a grown man get lost in a song on stage, seeing the child come alive and battle it out with the cool guy. As a woman, I see the complete vulnerability that I don’t think the man is even aware of while he’s playing and singing. Does Caleb from Kings of Leon understand how sensual it is when he sings about getting head while he’s driving? I honestly don’t think so. It’s a really intimate moment to witness, especially live and close up. That’s what I love capturing about musicians in my stories.

The small print says FREE READ, people.  Click on the photo to git you some.

The small print says FREE READ, people. Click on the photo to git you some.

Rock Star romance research rocks. Say that fast, even just once! In 2006, I hung out with Depeche Mode’s security manager at one of the band’s shows. I went backstage for an in-depth, behind the scenes view of the inner-workings of the tour. Incredibly, everyone from the carpenters to the sound guys to the seamstress and masseuse and even the guys in the band were all 100% down-to-earth. So in a way, I found out that my fantasies are a lot more debauched and naughty than the real deal. I did get warned while backstage that at any moment, someone could go walking by in their skivvies. 😉

To answer the last bit about boredom, in my Sin Pointe free read, Touch of Sin, the hero has this thought: “Luke would never understand how they could be as busy as they were making the music and still find time to fuck it all up.” That’s my boys…making time to sin.

MADELINE IVA: Nice. We know all the stereotypes of what men do on the road…but what about women who do rock n roll? What makes the main character Trista, from Sidewalk Flower, become so jaded?  What is it about being on the road that steals her innocence?

CARLENE LOVE FLORES: Even though Trista isn’t in the band, she’s one of the guys. By virtue of being their personal assistant for the last sixteen years (she started out too young, at 16), she’s seen it all. I’m sure the first few times she walked in on Jaxon or Stefan getting backstage favors, she may have skittered back out blushing. But now it’s nothing. She might even wave in passing. Trista loves the guys but like she says in Sidewalk Flower, “She just didn’t know how much longer she could keep on chasing him around—his personal rodeo clown.” Him is Jaxon James, the founder of Sin Pointe and her best friend, but not her hero. These Sin Pointe guys are the definitive examples of Real Bad Boys but Very Good Men. That’s confusing to a young woman still growing up and ultimately what steals her innocence. I think when you begin to hate what you love, it leaves you jaded.

Heart says 'He's a magic man.'

Heart says ‘He’s a magic man.’

MADELINE IVA: We like innocent women in romance.  What draws you to writing about innocent-ish guys? (One hero in your books hasn’t been exposed to ‘the life’.  Another was the victim of a prank, and then the heroine lied to him…)

CARLENE LOVE FLORES: The draw of an innocent guy is that he’s still a guy at the end of the day. Lucky worries that as a carpenter, he can’t compete with Rock Stars for Trista’s hand but there’s still nothing more he’d like than to make her his and be good and tender to her in and out of bed.

Ben, my quirky webmaster who must deal with the woman who saved him by lying to him, jokes that his biggest wish is to show Mrs. Right he’s got game other than Xbox. I don’t quantify a man’s sex appeal to his sexual experience. If he’s got it, he’s got it. Can you imagine tapping into all that when it’s rarely been touched? I can tell you, writing that gets me every time.

MADELINE IVA: Whew.  Yes. Okay, tell me honestly—have you ever played air guitar?  In the privacy of your own home, or you know, out in public?

CARLENE LOVE FLORES: Is there a woman alive who doesn’t break into air guitar on Heart’s Crazy on You, Magic Man and Barracuda? Seriously, a woman’s hands are making those sounds! To be that talented. I want, I want, I want! I also play air microphone and pretend I’m Maja Ivarsson of The Sounds. Her leg kicks blow my mind. Um, yeah, but only at home…and in the presence of my cat. :>

MADELINE IVA:They did a Heart song “Magic Man” on The Voice this week and it was Soooooo good! Love it! I was not doing air guitar but I will confess to singing along full volume while doing the dishes.

Please tell us about your series…

CARLENE LOVE FLORES: The Sin Pointe Novels are sexy, intimate and dark stories about good men and women testing their limits.  If they’re bound to hurt the ones they love, is the right choice to stop loving? In the official series free read that just came out this month, loving Mrs. Right means the hero risks sacrificing his band’s second chance. Is there shame in choosing love? I’ve seen too many people with good hearts go down because of the shame heaped on top of them. These stories are for them and anyone who identifies with that feeling.

MADELINE IVA: Nice! And tell us about yourself – who are you Carlene? You say on your website that you grew up in a traveling family – did those road experiences lay the groundwork for your series?

CARLENE LOVE FLORES: I could happily live my entire life on the road. I remember making the monthly drives from Las Vegas to San Diego to visit my dad. By ten, I knew the hand signals to sign to the truckers to get them to blow their horn. Mom raised me in Vegas. She’d work all week and on the weekends we’d go watch the local bands play live in the casino lounges then on the weekends attend their charity softball games. Most recently, I was an army wife for 21 years and my hubby has never been sexier to me than he is now that we’re out in the civilian world together, preparing for another move. The road is in me. Music is in me. Sacrifice and Romance are in me. I’m also notoriously goofy. And I blush a lot. Yeah, I think I was made to write this series. You know what they say…they’re never lived a luckier girl. ;>

Crazy on You.

Crazy on You.

MADELINE IVA: It’s been a real treat to chat with you today, Carlene. 🙂

CARLENE LOVE FLORES: Thank you for making me feel like a rock star, Madeline.

Folks, you can get Carlene’s books right here.

Sound off in the comments section if you like rock star sexy reads.

Heart would say that you don’t have to love us, but you can get your Lady Smut high for a while–by following our blog.

33 Responses to “Man Giz & Rock Star Romance Research: Q&A with Carlene Love Flores”

1. Madeline Iva April 24, 2014 at 7:30 am #

Hey all! I woke up this morning to find I’d gotten a response to this interview–but the responder was too shy to post themselves….

Okay, here’s what this responder said: “I’ve talked with a number of guys about lactating sex. A number of them thought it was sexy.” But they didn’t specify why. “I would guess it was because a woman is so fertile.” Women with milk coming from their breasts can be seen as analogous, this commenter said to a man coming–and thus is hot to them.

“Another friend said he really liked having sex with his wife when she was pregnant. He said he really liked ‘preggo sex’. He didn’t say why.”

There you have it, my friends.

• Madeline Iva April 24, 2014 at 7:33 am #

This commenter also said that these guys who talked about this were just everyday conventional friends with kids. The commentator theorized that it may also have to do with guys liking the change in breast size that smaller breasted women often experience during pregnancy.

• Madeline Iva April 24, 2014 at 7:34 am #

…As well as women becoming curvier while pregnant.

• Carlene Love April 24, 2014 at 8:21 am #

Great start to the morning! I think that this man, and maybe many men out there, simply appreciate a woman’s body and all its wonderful capabilities. Which is a huge Score for the lady population. I’m not surprised to hear he’s okay with it. I am very curious to know what ladies think. When I was having this convo with hubby, he reminded me of a book we’d both read with a sensual breast milk scene and that was Lie Down With Lions. For the record, hubby was definitely okay with that scene. Maybe it’s all about how it’s done. Sending my heartfelt thanks to this commenter for sharing. 🙂

2. Barbara Mikula April 24, 2014 at 7:57 am #

Great interview! Makes me want to get on the road. I ordered one of the books to check it out. Sometimes I have to get out of my own head and enjoy getting into someone else’s.

I did write one book with sex between a hero and his pregnant wife, and found it very hot. I know a lot of women are incredibly horny when they’re pregnant — and not having morning sickness! LOL!

• Carlene Love April 24, 2014 at 8:17 am #

Hi Barbara! Thanks for checking out the book. I think your second paragraph sums up my thoughts nicely. What a wonderful distraction from the aches and pains of pregnancy. So just out of curiosity, where would you go if you could set out on the road tomorrow? 🙂

• Barbara Mikula April 24, 2014 at 8:41 am #

I’m a kind of homebody, so my first thought is always my little farm in Ocala, Florida. I don’t get enough time there. After that, I would love to take an Alaskan cruise (even though the Golden Dolphin has already been there – LOL – it was a raft of research to cover the whole state. I’d also like to take a European river cruise!

• Carlene Love April 24, 2014 at 8:45 am #

Barbara, your farm sounds like the perfect place to get away and “be”. I hope you get back there someday soon. Hubby and I did a river cruise in Germany and a gondola ride in Venice. Can’t go wrong there! 🙂 Oh, oh, oh and the Alaskan cruise! You’ve got some pretty nice options. 🙂

3. Madeline Iva April 24, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Italy! I’m pining with envy that one of our fellow Lady Smut gals is in Italy right now. There’s a great sweet little movie called Enchanted April, and I want to go to there. This tiny villa on a hillside. ;}

• Carlene Love April 24, 2014 at 8:42 am #

I’m gonna go ahead and be jealous right along with you. Italy is a special kind of gorgeous. Went there in the 90’s and fave part was driving along the coastal hillsides. They always show those in the movies set in Italy. Love them.

• Elizabeth Shore April 24, 2014 at 11:20 am #

Well, Ladies, I’m not there yet but I will be tomorrow. *squee!*

Loved the interview! I think rockers are awesome and had blogged about them here on Lady Smut last July. I’m also tossing around an idea for a rocker hero in an upcoming contemporary. In the meantime, I immediately downloaded Touch of Sin and can’t wait to read it! Rock on!

• Carlene Love April 24, 2014 at 11:23 am #

Elizabeth! Hahaha, at first when you said you weren’t there yet but would be tomorrow…I thought you mean on the decision of whether or not you were down with erotic lactation!!! But of course you meant Italy! Have a fabulous trip and thank you for downloading the book. 🙂

4. Denny S. Bryce April 24, 2014 at 9:19 am #

It’s certainly been a while since moi was pregnant, but for a character in a book in the right context, ‘prego” sex might be exactly what the doctor ordered. I wouldn’t wipe it off the table, and yes, I believe for all the reasons mentioned above – there are a lot of men who enjoy sex with their pregnant wives or partners. :)…an interesting topic Carlene and Madeline.

• Carlene Love April 24, 2014 at 11:48 am #

Hi Denny! By sheer coincidence, Madeline asked and I happened to have had this to deliver! I can’t think of any better audience than to have the discussion with. I appreciate that this concept is not off the table for you. It’s definitely lingering around in my files. Thank you for stopping by!

5. Lynne Silver (@lynnesilver) April 24, 2014 at 9:53 am #

Hi All,

Great interview, Carlene. Now I’m Carlene’s critique partner, and when I first got a hold of erotic lactation- I went “ew” as well. But Carlene makes a very good, very feminist point. Why is semen okay to drink and seen as sexy, but not milk from a breast? I still don’t think it’d be my fetish- my boobs were sore and tired from breastfeeding, and i definitely didn’t want a second pair of lips on them. But now I understand a very valid argument about a double standard we have.

• Carlene Love April 24, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Lynne! I love your points 😉 And thank you for reading, no matter what. I guess when I wrote that, I had read so many erotic books that touched on so many kinky subjects, I honestly didn’t give it a second thought. Thank you for stopping by and sharing. 🙂

6. bphoney April 24, 2014 at 12:10 pm #

I was in the audience when Kat Perkins performed “Magic Man” on The Voice on Monday! She was AMAZING!!!

Oh and I absolutely love Carlene Love Flores!! I don’t know where I’d be without her =)

• Madeline Iva April 25, 2014 at 9:07 am #

Yes — yes! Kat Perkins is such a cool name too.

• Carlene Love April 25, 2014 at 9:41 am #

Hi (I want to use your real name but BPHoney is one of my favorite fake names of all time!) Unfortunately I was in the ER with my niece and didn’t get to see that Magic Man performance but I bet she rocked it out. I absolutely love you too 😉 Thanks for stopping by!

7. Lia Kattalakis April 24, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

begins reading & blushes a pretty pink, while thinking about pregnant sex & how when she was pregnant with her twin cubs…. how she craved having sex with her mate & how vocal she was during said pregnant sex, her body had erogenous zones she didn’t even know she had & her mate Fury had quite the fun finding new ones & later in the pregnancy finding different positions that were fun but made it comfortable for pregnant mom…

• Madeline Iva April 25, 2014 at 9:10 am #

…AND it’s so funny, but I know a guy who likes pregnant sex because his wife (very gorgeous, but normally an enviably slender athletic popsicle stick in terms of shape) gets very va-voomy while pregnant. I found out just last night that she’s pregnant again. I think they also like sex without protection.

• Madeline Iva April 25, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Go Lia!

• Carlene Love April 25, 2014 at 9:45 am #

Lia! So lovely and flattered to have you here at Lady Smut. You are a lucky lady with that Mr. Fury of yours. When true lovers are together, I think it’s ALL A-Okay in the love department, whatever it is that they enjoy. Now the question is to see if that openness and vulnerability can transfer over into our literary work. I believe it can. Furry hugs!

8. Terry Touchstone April 24, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

Personally, I don’t know how anyone, even a baby, can drink warm milk without Ovaltine in it, I like my plain milk ice cold. No comment on the man giz.

• Madeline Iva April 25, 2014 at 9:07 am #

Milk with a tablespoon of kahlua in it is quite tasty before bed.

• Carlene Love April 25, 2014 at 9:47 am #

Wait, are we still talking breast milk….

• Carlene Love April 25, 2014 at 9:47 am #

Love. Love. Love. This comment! Why did I not think to add ovaltine! And ice! Next story I write… 😉 (This is my awesome Aunt Terry y’all!) Love you. 🙂

9. Claudia April 24, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

Loved the Q&A – excellent all around! Love the way Carlene writes about music because our music is our life, always growing, changing – the one true universal language.

• Madeline Iva April 25, 2014 at 9:07 am #

Very true, Claudia!

• Carlene Love April 25, 2014 at 9:48 am #

This is my Mom! She rocks. Hi Mom. From the sounds of your reply, I’m not in trouble for my Lady Smut chat. Yay! Love you. 🙂

10. Kate April 26, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

Best interview yet, Carlene!!!! I cannot wait to see you!

• Carlene Love April 27, 2014 at 5:48 am #

Hi Kathleen! I had a blast, that’s for sure. Only a couple more months and then we’ll be able to talk some lady smut in person! Take care until then and thank you so much for stopping by and reading the interview. Hugs and kisses!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Special Tuesday Treat for my blog followers! ARC of the Lady Smut Anthology up for grabs! | CARLENE LOVE FLORES - November 4, 2014

[…] lucky enough to be interviewed there and it’s my favorite interview to date. You can see that here if you’d like. Their tag line is “We know what we like.” I know I like this […]