Lusting after “Vincent”

13 May

By Liz Everly

Yesterday was not just any Monday. I was in a Twitter conversation with Tiffany Reisz (yes THAT one) and Sarah Wendell (YEP) about the TV show “Beauty and the Beast”—which left us all swooning. Turns out we all loved the show. Do you remember it?

It was about “the adventures and romance of a sensitive and cultured lion-man and a crusading assistant district attorney in Manhattan, New York City,” according to IMDB. And it’s that lion-man that had us all breathless over our Twitter feeds. To this day, when I hear the name “Vincent,” my hearts speed up, just a wee little bit…Vincent-1

What is it about that sensitive, yet beasty man that had us all swooning? Was it his love of poetry? His devotion to Catherine? His soul and gut-wrenching agony of never being able to show his face in public? Or was it his mighty roar? The tenderness beneath the roar? All of that reaches into my guts and still makes me yearn, my friends.

And it says something about what we want in a romance, doesn’t it? I mean, as Tiffany said it was, indeed, the most romantic show on television. It wove in art, literature, and love into the plot beautiful ways. The only thing today remotely akin to it is “Once Upon A time,” which I watch with my daughters. It has romance, as well. But its focus is way different.

If you’ve never seen the show you can catch some episodes on TV.com.

Turns out that there is a soundtrack with Ron Perlman as “Vincent” reading poetry. And Sarah pointed me to a youtube reading, which if you have memories of this show might leave you blushing and breathless with the rest of us:

The TV show ran from 1987 to 1990. It starred Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman, airing every Friday night and I rarely missed an episode. I loved the romance and the longing in the show. I was also intrigued by the underneath the city aspect to it. Vincent and his community live in the bowels of the city and I still think about the lovely space he called home underneath and in the midst of the grit and grime. I remember beautiful hardcover books, blankets and quilts, and overstuffed chairs, which all added to the allure of Vincent.

Then there was the writing. Consider the opening lines that ran at the beginning of each show:

Vincent: This is where the wealthy and the powerful rule. It is her world, a world apart from mine. Her name is Catherine. From the moment I saw her, she captured my heart with her beauty, her warmth, and her courage. I knew then, as I know now, she would change my life forever.

Catherine: He comes from secret place, far below the city streets, hiding his face from strangers, safe from hate and harm. He brought me there to save my life; and now wherever I go, he is with me in spirit. For we have a bond stronger than friendship or love…and although we cannot be together, we will never, ever be apart.

Beauty-and-the-beast-150911

Clutching my heart!

Thoughts?

While you’re thinking, I’m going to give a shout out to the ladies who inspired this post Tiffany Reisz, author of many books, including THE SIREN, which I read and loved.

The Siren

Lady Smut’s Madeline Iva interviewed Tiffany here.

The other sparkling conversationalist of the day was Sarah Wendell, of Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. If you don’t know that blog…where’ve you been? Check it out now. I’m sure our chat is still floating around on Twitter, if you’d like to read it. Before you go, I’m giving away a copy of LIKE HONEY to one lucky commenter today. So, if you’d like to read about a sexy-spy-turned beekeeper in Scotland who meets a young widow and so on and so forth, comment away! And don’t forget to subscribe to Lady Smut. You never know who will show up here!

Unknown

14 Responses to “Lusting after “Vincent””

1. Kemberlee May 13, 2014 at 2:48 am #

{sigh} Vincent…

Awesome show. I set it to record every week and watched repeatedly until the tapes wore out. Even then, I couldn’t bear to throw them away for years. I still have one vhs I bought, somewhere in storage, along with the few graphic novels.that started coming out before the show was cancelled…still in their original plastic. Oh, and a couple books…paperbacks with matching book markers lol Yeah, I had it bad back then.

I know Hellboy. was a.wholly different creation, but Perlman’s roll in that character always reminds me of Vincent. He’s not much of a poet but he loves kittens 😉 Typical lonely bachelor who turns to cats for solace…not sure a dog would put up with him. Or maybe cats are ideal because they’re box trained from birth. Whatever it is, a man who loves.animals is pretty special…as is the love he feels for the woman.

Even watching Perlman in his biker program (the name escapes me as we can’t get it here most of the time…was it cancelled?) I still see Vincent in his eyes.

As I understand it, Linda Hamilton is a twin…her sister a nurse. Not sure if she still is. Anyway, as I understood it at them time, Hamilton got bored with the role and left the show for movies. That was about the time the Terminator movies started which rocketed her career for a short time. Has she done much since then?

An aside…my cousin works out in the same gym as Perlma so he posts sneaky photos occasionally. Even in his 60s, Perlman is ripped. Schwarzenegger could take some lessons 😉

• Liz Everly May 13, 2014 at 7:07 am #

I’ve never watched Hellboy. Guess I need to get up to speed on Perlman! Thanks for commenting Kemberlee.

2. Misty Dietz May 13, 2014 at 6:52 am #

Hey Liz, I never saw the original TV series you’re talking about, but did you know there’s a new Beauty and the Beast on the CW? I LOVED season 1 last year until the finale. Now I’m only a couple of episodes into season 2 which still bites, but I have some hope that they’re going to bring the romance thread back around to where I’d like to see it.

The plot goes off the rails from the original story big time, but the concept is the same (ex-military dude turns into a beast and he falls in love with a beautiful detective whom he can’t be with, yada, yada). Jay Ryan isn’t my fave actor, but he’s sure easy on the eyes.

Fun post 🙂

• Liz Everly May 13, 2014 at 7:06 am #

I did not know that, Misty! I’ll have to check it out! Thanks so much for commenting. If you ever check out the series, drop me a line and let me know what you think. Cheers!

3. Madeline Iva May 13, 2014 at 7:41 am #

Before my time….but has anyone watched the latest version? I see ads for it on hulu…seemed to have a subway tunnel feel. I had no idea it was based on an earlier show.

Meanwhile, what I think of Ron Perlman from was CITY OF LOST CHILDREN –which was weird and french and strange and interesting…. wish I could post photos here….

4. Madeline Iva May 13, 2014 at 7:42 am #

And aren’t you keeping good company these days? Sarah Wendell & Miz Tiffany? Sheesh. Lurv them.

• Liz Everly May 13, 2014 at 8:07 am #

One of the fabulous things about Twitter. I responded to a comment Tiffany made and she responded back. (Says a lot about her.) The next thing I knew, Sarah chimed in and a fun conversation ensued. That said, I’ve tired to engage with others and have been completely ignored. Ya never know..

5. Harliqueen May 13, 2014 at 7:45 am #

I loved that show, it was before my time, but my mum wanted me to watch it with her and, well, I just fell in love with it all! 🙂

• Liz Everly May 13, 2014 at 8:04 am #

I’ve tried to get my daughters interested, but they were unimpressed. But how fabulous that your Mom shared it with you! Thanks so much for commenting–and for following both my blog and Lady Smut. Truly appreciate it.

6. Elizabeth Shore May 13, 2014 at 10:01 am #

I never watched that show – it seemed so silly! – but I recall that it had its devoted followers.Maybe I need to jump on the Perlman bandwagon and get up to speed. As for Linda Hamilton, I loved her in the original Terminator, but her character in the sequel was completely different. Hamilton herself had gotten ripped and looked like she could easily take out a motorcycle gang single handedly. But the vulnerability of her character was also gone and was, at least to me, no longer nearly as appealing as in the original.

7. Barbara Mikula May 13, 2014 at 10:58 am #

There’s just something about vulnerable, damaged heroes. I always try to give my guys an issue that makes them more than just good looking rich guys! Ah, but Vincent. I remember him well! – Skye Michaels

8. Kel May 13, 2014 at 11:10 am #

I loved that show… it’s actually on Netflix streaming, for anyone who has that option… so is at least the first season of the new one.

I thought the relationship between Vincent and Catherine was very unique in a lot of ways for American television. It was very reminiscent of an expression of Courtly Love, which was fascinating to see on a TV show being shown to mainstream US. I also had a major crush on Vincent, but it had more to do with him being almost the embodiment of a Lady’s Knight than anything else, right down to the poetry juxtaposed with the leashed violence. I’m a sucker for the combination of physical power and poetry.

Also, Ron Perlman is a wonderful actor and manages to make his movements say things so eloquently, even when his face is hidden behind a ridiculous amount of makeup.

9. Liz Everly May 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm #