Blast From the Past: WORLD WITHOUT MEN

15 May

By Madeline Iva

Hey Gals n Guys — got a deadline this week.  Here’s a blast from the past — enjoy!
Madeline here! Wanted to share with you all this whacky pulp novel cover to the pulp sci-fi novel WORLD WITHOUT MEN by Charles Eric Maine.  5,000 years in the future women live without men, while the government desperately tries to create one.  Then a scientist actually recovers one from the ice age–and all hell breaks loose!

What I tickles me about this cover, aside from it’s delicious sense of drama and campy crisis–is that it captures all the details in the book so faithfully.  The stained eyeballs are the correct color, the white lipstick is accurate, the scientist in the background has lacquered silver across her breasts (yes, this is what science looks like when women are in charge).  The woman in the front has a purple collar–she even has the little cord in her hand.  It’s mentioned in the book that when she goes out she pulls on the chain, and the fabric in the collar drops down and covers her like a choir gown.

Nice job, ACE BOOKS.  Meanwhile, you’ll be happy to know that in this future world, women still are into romance.  Albino women have become the big popular love interest.  (!!!)

One thing we know is that in a world without men, there’d be no hunky chunks of man-flesh around to grab and hold onto.  This would seriously dampen my joy in life.  And in the spirit of celebrating Labor Day, I’d like to take a moment to celebrate all those men out there across America who take out the garbage, mow the lawn, and kill the spiders or other icky-crawlies.  I can do the same job as a man, and I ought to get paid the same amount, but I still appreciate it that these particular chores do not fall to me.

8 Responses to “Blast From the Past: WORLD WITHOUT MEN”

1. finesharpie May 17, 2014 at 4:58 pm #

Wow that was interesting. Something recent that was wonderful and sort of along those lines is Y: The Last Man. The dystopian sci-fi comic book series about the last man left alive after a mass event: the death of every male mammal. I recommend it. It has now concluded and can be purchased in collections.

• Madeline Iva May 17, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

I’ll check it out — thanks for mentioning it. 🙂

2. ami granada May 16, 2014 at 3:16 am #

I want to read this.

3. Madeline Iva May 15, 2014 at 6:29 pm #

You have to understand – the book portrays this as a BAD thing. But in the world of the book this is a *good* thing. I tend to agree with you all, variety is the spice of life.

As for the spiders – okay, spiders are not really the issue. The real issue are those semi-transparent house crickets! Eeeeeesh!

4. Kel May 15, 2014 at 11:13 am #

Heh. It always amuses me what people think would happen if suddenly one gender went away. I think it would pretty much only effect the first generation, then all of a sudden future generations would discover that everyone is just people.

I would miss men if they suddenly disappeared, but not because they do specific chores. (I usually mow the lawn, take out the trash and deal with the spiders. The jokes about gender roles in my relationships are legion.) I think the way society treats people is shaped by gender, and expectations are different… and sometimes, I just like the different outlook.

Plus. They’re kinda pretty.

5. Elizabeth Shore May 15, 2014 at 9:28 am #

I once worked for a company that was 98% female and it was just way too much estrogen. I’m with Christine. Our gal pals are awesome, but variety is the spice of life. 🙂

6. christineblackthorn May 15, 2014 at 7:25 am #

Do you have to scare me so early in the day? I adore all my female friends – but the thought of only them might drive me to drink.

And KILLING spider? Badly trained – mine carries them outside and finds a safe home for them 😉

• Elizabeth Shore May 15, 2014 at 9:31 am #

Mine does the same with spiders. Takes them outside, sets them free. Awwww …

Tell us what you think (but please respect the views of others)