Women With Balls

28 May
Sexy couple white tshirts

Ballsy – and beautiful.

By Elizabeth Shore

This past Memorial Day weekend a local radio station I sometimes listen to had one of those “80’s weekend” marathons. So, OK, I can put up with a little Flock of Seagulls or Simple Minds once in awhile. But as I was listening I suddenly heard a familiar strain. I cranked up the volume. Oh yeah, baby, it’s Love Is A Battlefield by none other than the awesome Pat Benatar. She and I belt out the lyrics together.

We are strong!
No one call tell us we’re wrong
Searching our hearts for so long
No one can tell us
Love is a battlefield …

“Why the heck do I like Pat Benatar so much,” I mused aloud to my DH. “That’s easy,” he replied. “You always like women with balls.”

In romance novels, self-assured strong woman are alternately described as fierce, independent, headstrong, strong-willed, or plucky. Yeah, I’m not a fan of that last one, either. But for this post, I’m going with balls. It’s an all-in-one kinda word that sums up so much of what I love in women like Pat. Women who don’t take any shit, who can kick ass when needed, who have courage and confidence and heart but whose feminine side and kind side remain front and center. They are sexy femme fatales, these ballsy women, and I’d sure love to be in the club.

No doubt I’m a fan because these women posses a lot of what I wish I had. On the surface, I can at times project a confidence I don’t actually feel. Or at least not as much as I appear to have. But dang, more often than not I feel like I have as much balls as a powder puff. I’m more plagued with doubt than I’d like to be, I let my confidence get eroded by stupid things, and the only ass I’m kicking is my own, trying to get it off the couch. But hey, a gal can dream.  So in my effort to be a ballsy woman, I present just a few of the ones who already are.

Pat Benatar

Love may be a battlefield, but Pat’s a warrior.

Pat Benatar. She belts out those tunes in her bad-ass rocker way but then adds in the glam with hair and make-up and cool clothes. I remember hearing once from a guy who had worked as a bodyguard that Pat was always a mess right before concerts with almost debilitating stage fright. I don’t want to hear that, and who knows whether it’s even true or if the guy was just blowing smoke. I prefer to think it’s the latter. Rock on, Pat.

Artemisia Gentileschi's Judith

Do not; repeat, DO NOT mess with Judith

We get a two-fer with my next selection. First I’ll mention the artist, then the subject. The painting on the right is by Italian artist Artemisia Gentileschi. An extremely talented Baroque painter, she’s considered by some to be among the most accomplished of her era. It’s an even more amazing feat when one realizes what she went through. First, female artists at that time were virtually non-existent, so to say she was a groundbreaker is putting is mildly. Second, she was raped by the guy who was supposed to be her tutor. Not one to simply accept her fate, Artemisia had the balls to put her rapist on trial, a trial in which she was subjected to a gynecological examination and tortured by thumbscrews to “verify her testimony.”

The subject of her painting, Judith, was a Hebrew widow living in a village invaded by douchebag general Holofernes. Knowing her village was on the verge of being sacked, Judith snuck into Holofernes’s tent, used her wiles to get him drunk and then, once he passed out, chopped off his head and thus saved her village. If that’s not balls I don’t know what is. Interesting note: in the painting I’ve shown, the face of Judith is said to be Artemisia’s own; the head of the invading general is that of Artemisia’s rapist. Gotta love payback.

Lucy Lawless

Lucy Lawless – definition of “no fear.”

New Zealand actress, singer, and activist Lucy Lawless easily makes my list. From her amazing portrayal of Xena: Warrior Princess to her boldly climbing aboard an oil tanker to protest Arctic drilling, Lucy’s got balls to spare. I was a big fan of her portrayal of Lucretia in the Spartacus series on Starz. She’s a wonderful actress and hot hot hot. I feared my TV might combust during some of her scenes in Spartacus.

There are literally millions of ballsy women who could be on this list. Who’s on your list and why? Let us know whom you admire and be sure to follow us at Lady Smut. We know you’ve got the balls to do it. Hot Bayou Nights

20 Responses to “Women With Balls”

1. C. Margery Kempe May 28, 2014 at 5:12 am #

Misattributed to Betty White, but still awesome: “Why do people say ‘grow some balls’? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.”

• Kel May 28, 2014 at 10:58 am #

I knew someone would post it, but this exact thought was running through my mind while I read.

2. C. Margery Kempe May 28, 2014 at 5:17 am #

Vagina-tough women I admire: Patti Smith, Joan Jett, Siouxsie Sioux, Tori Amos, Joan Armatrading, TILDA SWINTON, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Anaïs Nin, Sally Ride, Benazir Bhutto, viking woman Aud the Deep-Minded, Elizabeth I — and on and on and on. Millions.

• Elizabeth Shore May 28, 2014 at 9:34 am #

I know, right? There are millions of them. So difficult to choose. And I love the misattributed Betty White comment. Vagina power indeed!

3. Harliqueen May 28, 2014 at 6:32 am #

A brilliant post, and I have to agree, Lucy Lawless is a great role model. I think women who just go for what they want, no worries about what others think or society will say are great inspirations 🙂

• Elizabeth Shore May 28, 2014 at 9:42 am #

Lucy Lawless is awesome. So talented and an activist to boot. Love her.

4. Misty Dietz May 28, 2014 at 8:02 am #

Love is a battlefield is an awesome tune. For kickass women, I vote Angelina Jolie. Her movie roles are definitely that, plus she seems to live the ethos as well. Some think she’s arrogant, but that’s not my impression (I obviously don’t know her). My thought is that it’s a double standard. Strong confident men are leaders, strong confident women are bitches. Screw that.

• Elizabeth Shore May 28, 2014 at 9:36 am #

I’m with you, Misty. Screw that! I hate that confident women who speak their minds are labeled as bitchy while the same attributes in a man are seen as leadership material. Total double standard. In the meantime, here’s to the kickass gals. I’m totally with you on Angelina, BTW.

5. Madeline Iva May 28, 2014 at 8:18 am #

I like it that there are getting to be too many women to name in one go.

6. naomibellina May 28, 2014 at 9:53 am #

Great post and great choices for ballsy women. I loved reading about Artemisia. So glad we’ve progressed since then. I too sing along with Pat Benatar. Heartbreaker, dream maker, love taker don’t you mess around with me!

• Elizabeth Shore May 28, 2014 at 4:24 pm #

Glad you enjoyed, Naomi! I think it’s important not to forget the past, even as it grows distant. What Artemisia Gentileschi had to put up with to get where she did was incredible.

Thanks so much for stopping by.

7. Kiersten Hallie Krum May 28, 2014 at 10:10 am #

Before she landed the Xena role, Lucy Lawless worked in the jewel mines in Australia, so yeah.

Maya Angelou died today. She definitely makes the list, albeit in a more cerebral and metaphorical kick-ass way.

• Kel May 28, 2014 at 11:00 am #

Maya Angelou definitely. My favorite Phenomenal role model in a lot of ways.

• Madeline Iva May 28, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

Noooooooooooo! Omg. 😦

• Elizabeth Shore May 28, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

Yes, I read that she died today. Huge loss for the literary world and especially the kick-ass female world. R.I.P. Maya Angelou.

8. Kat Attalla May 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm #

She is one of my favorite singers. As a matter fact my very first book was based on a song by her and revolved around the life of a rock singer.

9. elfahearn May 29, 2014 at 1:42 am #

Hey Peachy, weren’t you the little gal who came out of Wisconsin and climbed the corporate ladder in the toughest city in the world to end up near the top of Time Inc.’s executive list? We all suffer from self-doubt, baby, but you’ve got a serious set of balls.

• Elizabeth Shore May 30, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

That’s one of the nicest things I’ve ever heard. *sniff*. Thanks, Doll. You’re the best! 🙂