The Thriller in Erotica: Guest Author Troy Lambert

30 May

One-Night-in-Boise-by-Troy-Lambert-1800HRby C. Margery Kempe This week I’m happy to welcome another of my Tirgearr Publishing colleagues, Troy Lambert, who’s got the first book in the new City Nights series, One Night in Boise. Troy admits that this is all a bit new for him. Here’s the blurb:

Detective Derek Marshek and his wife Cheri like to play games. It’s not that they don’t have a great sex life, but Cheri came up with the idea to keep things even spicier. Suddenly, events at the Seven Bells Motel reveal she may have had other motives.

Their son Alex, now in college and seeking to escape the shadow of his father, has a new girlfriend. In their efforts to find privacy, he is drawn back into his parents’ lives, and sees a new side of Susie. Could she be the one?

On this night in Boise, will lives be ruined, hearts be broken? One thing is certain. It’s a dangerous game they all play.

Take it away, Troy! I’m not an erotica reader, editor, or author. Or am I? When first presented with these questions eight months ago, I would have answered with a resounding “no.” But there they were, staring me in the face. Two of my favorite words: challenge and opportunity. They were knocking at my door, and I had no choice but open up. I discovered some interesting things: I’d already written erotica. Not full length pieces, mind you, but graphic sex scenes in my novels and short stories. Sex plays a part in many of them, some an integral one. So could I write a more detailed, emotionally charged sex scene? Sure I could. I’ve dreamed about sex since my early teens, talked about sex with my kids, and had plenty of sex over the years. In fact, applying the “write what you know” principle, perhaps I should have started writing about sex sooner. Sex is thrilling and suspenseful. If you don’t think it is, you might not be doing it right. As a suspense/thriller author one of the things I try to do in my work is create drama right away, drag the reader into the story, and don’t let them go until it is over, leaving them breathless and spent. Sound like the last time you had sex? If not, refer to sentence one. Whether emotionally, physically, or both, sex is filled with climaxes that allow us to transcend reality, if only for a short time. Mixing it up makes something good. The thriller is a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat (or bed), whether through the threat of death, world domination by evil, a clown stalking the inhabitants of a small town, or the threat of imminent heartbreak. Blending the drama of life crisis with the drama of relationships and sex makes for not only a good story, but one we all can connect with. After all, how many times in your life was sex the cause of the drama you went through. Fiction allows us to escape, and to learn something about ourselves in a world not our own. The more we branch out, step out of our comfort zones, the more likely we are to learn. I loved writing this story. So will I write more erotica? You’ll just have to wait and see. Visit Troy’s website or find him on Facebook. Get One Night in Boise in any format here. 48317

13 Responses to “The Thriller in Erotica: Guest Author Troy Lambert”

1. Elizabeth Shore May 30, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

Wow. Boise. The word brings potatoes to mind. Clearly, after this post, I’ll be thinking about something else. 😉

2. Mary Bradford May 30, 2014 at 11:17 am #

Loved this post Troy, I am buzzed up to finish my erotic romance 🙂

3. Troy Lambert May 30, 2014 at 7:45 am #

Not to take attention away from Boise, but mine is not the first thriller to be set here. Boise is a growing community, and there are often things going on that would shock the tourists who visit downtown, and only bike the greenbelt.

We have several wineries, local micro-brews, some excellent museums, and of course, the crime that comes with a rising population. Our crime rates are still low, compared to nationally, but we’re not exempt from the problems that plague most cities.

• C. Margery Kempe May 30, 2014 at 8:17 am #

I think I was last there many years ago — maybe when moving from LA to Boston, or else even further back.

• Troy Lambert May 30, 2014 at 8:21 am #

In the late 80’s, Boise was still very confused about exactly “what” it was (I was in college at Boise State at the time). Most of the time, those of us who live here think it is still confused about what kind of city it wants to be when it grows up.

• Madeline Iva May 30, 2014 at 10:01 am #

Boise is still a country city –when I used to visit there I saw horse pastures in between the different neighborhoods. And I bet they’re still there.

• Troy Lambert May 30, 2014 at 10:05 am #

They are. Although Kuna, where I live, and Star, which used to be full of horses and agriculture, are much more developed than they were. Although our post-mistress, also on the school board, raises llama’s on a small farm just down from the “new” grocery store.

4. Kemberlee May 30, 2014 at 4:33 am #

Excellent article, Troy. Now I want to go have sex so I can write. Or is it, I want to write so I can have sex? 😉

I’ve read One Night in Boise. It definitely was a great erotic thriller. Whoever thought Boise could be so . . . thrilling?!

• C. Margery Kempe May 30, 2014 at 4:47 am #

I’m going to have to read it because that was not my impression of the town at all 😉

• Stevie June 2, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

Either way some guy is going to get lucky.

Tell us what you think (but please respect the views of others)