Not Feeling Guilty Over My Guilty Pleasures

3 Dec

shutterstock_66598690By Elizabeth Shore

Here’s a conversation I had with a friend recently about Thanksgiving:

Me: Hey, how was your holiday?

Her: Really good. Yours?

Me: Fun. Went back home, spent time with family. What did you do?

Her: It was great. I watched three Hallmark movies in a row.

Me: (sputtering) What??!!  You’re kidding me! How can you watch those? They’re so badly written. They’re so horribly acted. They’re so sappy and contrived and … well … just really, really bad.

Her: Oh, I know. But I love them.

And there the conversation stopped. Because really, what else is there to say? She was boldly, without shame, enjoying Hallmark movies and freely admitting to it. As a writer, shouldn’t I be offended? My cat could write better scripts. And the acting in Hallmark movies – fuhgettaboutit. They make reality show stars look like Oscar contenders. I’ve got friends who are actors. Shouldn’t I be offended on their behalfs (behalves?)?

The truth is, I’ve got nothing to come back with. It’s not like I’m sitting around immersed in more highbrow activities like quoting Nietzsche or studying comparative lit. No siree. I watch bad movies a’plenty and I love ’em. They put the guilt in guilty pleasure. But then I thought, why should that be? Perhaps my friend’s attitude is the healthy one. Why not extol the virtues of our guilty pleasures and embrace them for what they are: an escape from the everyday, a release of stress and strain, a spot of fun on a landscape of toil.

So, my friends, tell me your guilty pleasures. Shout them from the rooftops! I’ll even beat you to it and go first. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Watching bad movies, again and again. And when I say bad, I mean bad. Bad as a Hallmark! Here are the movies that, when they’re on TV, I stop flipping channels. I’m happy they’re being shown, even happier when I realize the show has just started.

Staying AliveStaying Alive. Yes, I know it sucks. I am fully and completely aware of that. But here’s what I love: overdone ’80’s makeup and clothes. Watching Cynthia Rhodes and Finola Hughes dance. Watching John Travolta ham it up. Seeing the big splashy overdone and predictible ending. I’ve not a spot, not a single iota of shame when watching this movie. In fact, I love it so much I own the DVD. How’s that for shameless? Put it in your pipe and smoke it.

ShowgirlsShowgirls. Yes, I know it sucks even more than Staying Alive. I know that everyone (allegedly) hated it. It was so lampooned when it came out that poor Elizabeth Berkley probably had to take refuge in a rabbit hole from all those Showgirls haters. But you know what? When it’s on, I watch it and I love it. I like the small town girl makes good in the big city storyline, I like the over-the-top costumes, I like the dancing, and I love how Elizabeth Berkley kicks butt at the end of the movie. Oh, and I love how she supposedly eats more calories a day than a sumo wrestler yet manages to remain thin as a strand of hair. It’s awesome.

Burlesque. Christina Aguilera. Cher. People, what else do you need? Aguilera’s voice blows me away every time. Do I care that the whole plot is as realistic as Kim Kardashian’s blown up butt? No I do not.Burlesque

2. Eating a bucket of popcorn and calling it dinner. It’s divine. I adore popcorn. The smell, the hot salty kernels melting in my mouth, the way I can just keep eating handful after handful as I sit and watch Showgirls. Oh, and the butter. Lots and lots of butter.

3. Changing in to my pj’s the second I walk in the door after work. Question: Is there anything more comfortable to wear on the planet than pj’s? Answer: Absolutely not. So why shouldn’t I wear them as often as possible for as long as possible? Which brings me to:

4. Not changing out of pj’s all day. I need to take a shower. Not taking a shower isn’t a guilty pleasure for me, it’s just gross. But as soon as I’m done with the shower, the pj’s come back on.

This is the short list. There are more I could add, but I want to hear yours. Come on, friends, fess up. Tell us your pleasures, and feel no guilt. And while you’re at it, follow us here at Lady Smut, where we bring you guilt-free pleasure seven days a week.

16 Responses to “Not Feeling Guilty Over My Guilty Pleasures”

1. Cara Bristol December 4, 2014 at 7:44 am #

I watch reality TV shows, including Real Housewives!

2. Madeline Iva December 3, 2014 at 11:03 am #

Guilty pleasures–there are SO many! One guilty pleasure is having onion rings once in a blue moon.

There really is nothing more fun that the *feel* of letting go and indulging in a guilty pleasure, is there? It’s the *best*.

3. elfahearn December 3, 2014 at 10:21 am #

OK, as long as we’re being raw here; my guilty pleasures are Celine Dion and Michael Jackson. As a reader of the New Yorker I’m supposed to veer wildly away from pop culture icons, yet these two turn my crank. Celine has a glorious voice–just stop and listen to her someday when no one else is around. And Michael… Well, now that he’s dead the intellectual set is more open to his talent, but oh what they’ve been dissing all these years. To my mind he is one of the greatest performers who ever lived. There, I said it.

• Kel December 3, 2014 at 10:25 am #

I like the Jackson Five… he was adorable as a little person. 🙂

But oddly, my musical guilt pleasure is classical. I turn it way up and blast it in the house, which I’m pretty sure is just wrong by anyone’s definition… and then I dance around to it. You haven’t really played with music until you’ve belly danced to Tchaikovsky.

I’m sure there are people turning in their graves ever time I do that, but I really don’t care – it’s too much fun.

• Elizabeth Shore December 3, 2014 at 3:01 pm #

Love Love Love Michael Jackson! Totally with you on that one, Doll. His talent is undeniable. And Celine does have an absolutely gorgeous voice. So crank ’em up! No guilt in that pleasure.

4. Kel December 3, 2014 at 10:17 am #

I love bad movies, but my bad movie loves are bad horror and cheesy sci-fi. And yes, I love the old sci-fi shows where you can see the wires and the makeup and the flickers from the greenscreen behind the 50 foot woman…

Not guilty about it at all.

Everything in moderation – especially moderation. Sometimes you just have to eat icecream and nachos for dinner, you know? The trick is to not do those things so often that they become the norm and lose their fun.

• Elizabeth Shore December 3, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

I adore horror movies! The other day I just finished watching the original Friday the 13th (again). And AMC’s fear fest is awesome every year. A friend and I have a blast watching Tremors. It’s so bad that it’s oh-so-good.

And you’re right, Kel. Sometimes we just need to eat nachos and ice cream for dinner. Ben and Jerry’s peanut butter cup, anyone? 😉

5. Megan Morgan December 3, 2014 at 9:45 am #

I’m all about 3 and 4. If I’m at home, and don’t have to go anywhere, the PJ’s are on. I’m not getting dressed up for the cat. SHE gets to spend all day in lazy comfort, why shouldn’t I?

I guess another one of my guilty pleasures is coffee, any time of the day. I love coffee, not just for the caffeine buzz but the taste. If someone says “You can’t drink coffee, it’s 9pm!” Watch me, sir. WATCH ME.

• Kel December 3, 2014 at 10:19 am #

Pfft. Coffee is a dessert drink.

A really good one, though, rich and dark and smooth… maybe with just a hint of cream, but no sugar. And some fruit with it, or some cheese. Yum.

• Elizabeth Shore December 3, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

Yesterday I got a venti coffee from Starbucks, finished it way too fast, and then was pondering whether or not it would be bad if I had another one. I’m soooo with you on the coffee thing, Megan.

6. Kayla Lords December 3, 2014 at 6:23 am #

My guilty pleasures are definitely 3 and 4. And yeah, I’ve re-watched the same campy movies a million times, too. You’re right – we shouldn’t call them “guilty” pleasures and simply embrace what we like. 🙂

• Elizabeth Shore December 3, 2014 at 9:34 am #

My feeling exactly, Kayla! Why feel guilty over something so darn fun.

Liked by 1 person

• Kel December 3, 2014 at 10:21 am #

I personally don’t do the PJs thing, but I will change into a pair of bike shorts and a sport bra and an oversized and washed until super-soft flannel shirt and hang out… which is sort of like PJs. I don’t love pajamas enough to make my own, and the mass produced ones are generally not long enough.

• Kayla Lords December 3, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

I sleep naked but lounge in either pjs (shorts and a matching cami) or the bike shorts and a tank with no bra. That’s probably my other guilty pleasure – the bra comes off as soon as I’m sure I’m not leaving the house again for the day.

• Elizabeth Shore December 3, 2014 at 3:05 pm #

Not long enough? What a rip! Discrimination in pj’s. 😦

Tell us what you think (but please respect the views of others)