TOP SEVEN REASONS WHY YOU’D BOINK A ROCK STAR:
Why read rock-n-roll romances? Because of the hero of course! There are so many fantabulous rock star traits that make for a perfect romance hero. Let me count the ways…
1) ROCKERS LIKE DIRTY SEX — as in ‘no holds barred sex’. As in other-people-are-watching-and-you-don’t-even-care sex. Rockers have a reputation for no-rules mayhem when it comes to nookie. This is what fans of rock-n-roll romances crave. Shari Slade and Amber Lin deliver that kind of finger lickin’ fun in THREE NIGHTS WITH A ROCK STAR and ONE KISS WITH A ROCK STAR.
While the girl who’s ‘with the band’ might be up for anything, romance lovers still want a modicum of rules–a veneer of consent to the orgy of sensation about to begin. Robin Covington sets out the rules in an informal way in her latest PLAYING WITH THE DRUMMER. Her hero/heroine frenemies agree: seven days with all the uninhibited sex you can handle, and then walk away. Sounds good to me!
Slade and Lin go super-formal with signed contracts by both parties stating if/how/and when the rocker can have his wicked way. Also included in the contract is a non-disclosure statement. It’s a kind of one night stand pre-nup, ensuring mutual discretion or there’ll be hell to pay.
2) ROCKERS ARE GLAM –A rock star’s charisma weaves the magic spell, making him Mr. Popular. He’s got riches, fame, glory–and on top of that, hair for days. His muscled arms are well-defined from plucking at his, er, guitar all day long. Oh, and did I mention he’s got massive trust issues?
Covington makes her hero an illusive target, and thus, a challenge. Let’s face it–in this day and age, contemporary romance has to search high and low for great challenges and barriers that build romantic tension.
3) ROCKERS ARE SEXY AS ALL GIT–I’m not talking cucumbers or sausages in tight jeans here. I’m talking unshakeable confidence and a certain kind of masculine magic. He’s singing right to you–all 50,000 of you. But it feels like it’s just you. Wait, did he just wink at you?
4) YOU DIG A SKINNY ROCKER MAN-CHILD–It was interesting to note that Robin Covington’s Drummer guy is strapping and tall. Slade and Lin’s guys are more lithe and lean. So many rockers have a certain sort of skinny thing going on. Androgyny combined with a glorious sensitive face proves too much for women of every decade. Somewhere in the rock n roll bible Donny Osmond begat David Cassidy who begat Andy Gibb who begat the Hansons who begat the Beeb-meister. The skinny man-child rules in our hearts forever and on the pages of a great rock n roll romance.
5) ROCKERS HAVE WOUNDED SOULS–Sid Vicious. Jimi Hendrix. Kurt Cobain…these sensitive types have demons. They reek of vulnerability and thus women want to mate with them. Constantly. Because…
6) ROCKER POETS MAKE YOU SWOON —
But your teacher preaches class like you’re some kind of jerk
— Beastie Boys
There’s something about a powerful rock anthem that turns you inside out despite yourself. Galvanizing lyrics create insta-rebellions in the your heart. Suddenly, you’re not the good girl you thought you once were. You realize that, dude, you gotta fight. For your right. To paaaaaaaar-tay!
The other side of rocker poets spawning a million hellion-in-waiting tweeners are those quieter lyrics. Ballads that hit ya right between the eyes. Like a kitten snorting catnip, these lyrics will make ya melt.
At one point all I craved in life was to spike some poor guy’s tea with heartache. Y’know? Kurt Cobain lyrics were even more wrenching. Who couldn’t listen to his thoughts on drinking pennyroyal tea and not want to cradle his grungy blonde head right into the girls?
7) THAT VOICE IS TO DIE –whether it’s Robert Palmer, Bono, or Jim Morrison–your rock n roll fantasy has a voice that vibrates inside you right down to your knees. “You shook me allllllllllll night looooooooooooong!” Indeed, Mr. Palmer!
Want more? Click on the book cover photos above, and kick off your own rock n roll romance obsession. Tell us what you think in the comments section below. Meanwhile, follow us at LadySmut.com–cause we will rock you!
Want mo, mo, mo? Here’s what Shari Slade has to say about her rock n roll fantasy:
“I’ve always been fascinated by rock stars. The “hair bands” of the 80s, Guns and Roses, Cinderella, Skid Row. Big metal bands like Metallica and Tool. Industrial rockers like Nine Inch Nails. Early 90s grunge like Pearl Jam and Nirvana. More contemporary bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Imagine Dragons and AWOLNation. None of the guys from Half-Life are based on any one rocker, but they’re all informed by that long standing love affair with the music. It’s loud and aggressive, but also emotional and often romantic. In fiction, I find rock stars compelling because they’re both glitzy and gritty. Even if they’re in a band that is still struggling, there’s an element of celebrity and fantasy. But then there’s the under-belly, the “sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll” of it all. It sets the stage (with pyrotechnics, of course) for lots of conflict and tension and leaves room for plenty of juicy bad decisions.”
Here’s where you can find more of Robin Covington and Shari Slade goodness—check them out! You won’t be disappointed. 🙂
Robin and her man candy here:
Pinterest Board: http://bit.ly/1wE7hHm
Facebook Profile: http://on.fb.me/YSW9n3