Paging Dr. Feelgood: What Makes Doctors Hot?

What do you suppose Dr. Feelgood's specialty is?

What do you suppose Dr. Feelgood’s specialty is?

By Alexa Day

As I write this, I’m fighting the common cold (as are many of my writer colleagues) and considering one of the romance genre’s timeless mysteries.

Why is the doctor sexy?

Before the billionaire (and hopefully after), the cowboy, and the Navy SEAL, the doctor was one of romance’s go-to heroes. And we romance folks aren’t the only one’s thinking about this. Among the results for my Google search on “sexy doctors” was this honest-to-God Yelp list from Claremont, California. I also ran across this old story about a study assessing the sex appeal of surgeons and other physicians. According to the study, surgeons are hotter — taller and better looking than their nonsurgical counterparts.

Because white coat syndrome runs in the Day family, I struggled to understand Dr. Feelgood’s allure. (Probably why I’m not being asked to participate in these studies about whether surgeons are hot.) But there’s nothing like a day in bed, alternating between sweating and shivering in a 78-degree room, to get a girl thinking about doctor fantasies, right? Here’s what I’ve come up with so far.

1. He’s compassionate. The best doctors (and we romance folk only take the best) need to know how we feel physically and how we feel about how we feel. They see us at our worst. They guide us through our fears. They’re sources of comfort and encouragement. How hot is that?

2. Eye contact. The doctor, in order to do his job, has to look right at you. You’re the center of attention. He’s noticing things about you that you don’t even notice. In our modern world, direct eye contact is hard to come by, but doesn’t it create a magical spark?

3. He’s smart. Just to get where he is (you know, before he met you), the doctor had to have something

Is Dr. McCoy the cure for my white coat syndrome? Or is he elevating my blood pressure himself?

going on upstairs, as the expression goes. He’s had to master some of the most complex science that science has to offer. And then there’s all the memorization. The quick thinking. The problem solving. What would it be like to watch him apply his skills in a more intimate setting? Better still, how much fun would it be to catch him off guard?

4. He knows his way around your body. The doctor has a fairly thorough understanding of how your body responds to certain stimuli. He knows what will make your skin flush and what can make you tingle, and as he gets to know you better, he’ll learn those secrets that are particular to you. Just you.

I’ve been writing about the male doctor so far because he’s soooo easy to find out there in Romanceland. But what about women in medicine? Certainly, our groundbreaking genre has featured women doctors in abundance. I’d love to know if they’re bringing their own brand of sex appeal to the pages.

And don’t forget to bring some cheer to the sick and bedridden by sharing your own favorite sexy doctors.

Be sure to follow Lady Smut. We’ll make it all better.

• Liz Everly
    February 22, 2015 at 11:35 am

Dr. McDreamy, of course, from Grey’s Anatomy. Many hot women doctors on that show, as well. It’s been a few years since I’ve caught an episode, but it was pretty hot.

• Alexa Day
      February 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm

This is going to date me a little, but I often think of Vincent Irizarry — Dr. David Hayward on All My Children. Dr. Hayward could most charitably be described as evil. But he was a great doctor. I loved how he could be both of them, convincingly, at the same time — you really did have to love him and hate him.

And of course, he was as hot as can be. Those dark good looks. Wow!

• A. P. Bullard
      February 22, 2015 at 8:46 pm

YES. Oh, and Caliope? Mhm…

February 22, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I, personally, have no real-life expeience with hot doctors. Every time I go and the doc is a guy, he’s kind of a dweeby looking not-sexy type. There’s no Dr. Dev Wali walking into my waiting room, that’s for sure. And my primary care physician is a woman, soooo.

As for sexy surgeons, it’s gotta be those skillful hands. Mens’ hands are one of their hottest assets. And if a guy knows what to do with those hands on my body, well … 🙂

• Alexa Day
      February 22, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I actually did have a hot doctor once, many moons ago, an ENT. Looked like Kyle MacLachlan at his hottest, circa Blue Velvet. He was born in the West Indies to British parents and had a beautiful British accent. I, of course, was at the doctor’s office for a reason, which was that I had a horrible ear infection. OMG. I was so, so gross. But there he was, leaning into my ear to ask me things and give me instructions in that amazing accent.

Ultimately, he had to perform surgery on me, and my day-job colleagues had me worried that I’d gush like a teenage girl under sedation (Versed? More like *you* said, they said.). I don’t know if I did or not. I took comfort in the fact that I could not have been the only woman who spent the entire surgery muttering about how hot he was.

And I did have a hot veterinarian once. Those guys must get married pretty quickly, I think. But that’s it. I’ll just say it’s not easy having to constantly ask your doctor to repeat himself because his sexy-ass accent distracted you the first time, and I’ll leave it at that. 🙂

• A. P. Bullard
    February 22, 2015 at 8:47 pm

I have had a hot doctor only once, and it was incredibly distracting. I was really nervous, and it made me super self-conscious. That’s not to say it didn’t spark up some fantasies, though! 😉

• Alexa Day
      February 24, 2015 at 10:32 pm

The Hot ENT was very, very distracting like that — I would have had to find another doctor if he were my PCP. As it was, I hated to show him my ear, which was hands down the most disgusting thing that has ever happened to me. My mind went right back to fifth grade. “Oh, no! The cutest boy in the room is looking at me!” Jeez. White coat syndrome. 😉

• Madeline Iva
    February 23, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I had a hot ER physician once or twice, but for my money, it’s the anesthesiologist that’s the hottest of them all. After, that is, Karl Urban as Bones. ; > Great post, Ms. Day.