Celebrating Sexy Short Women! You Don’t Like it? F–k you.

By Liz Everly

Seems that size has gotten to be a bit of an issue in the media again these days. For years, big women were shamed; now skinny women are shamed.   The media skews everything. I mean, we know that, right? Let’s resolve right here and now not to give a flying fig about what the media says we should look like. Tall, thin, short, or plump.

Real women come in all shapes and sizes and that’s all a part of our charm. Not to suggest there are not real issues out there surrounding the health of women who are obese or very thin, or women who are discriminated against for being on either end of the scale. I’d like to add a little to the mix by telling you that I’m a petite woman, standing at a very proud 4′ 11″, and when it comes to putting up with shit from people because of size, I’ve had my share of it.

Sometimes it’s very subtle. Often it’s from other women who try to mother me because I am small.  Or from those who make personal remarks about my size, sort of “good-natured” jabs. You know what? It’s not cool. I try to maintain a sense of humor about myself—it’s not that. Really. But what it is, is this: Nobody really has any right to remark about my size. Or your size. Or anybody’s size. It’s just plain rude, boring, and lazy. If you can’t say something interesting about me or yourself, then just be quiet.

Other times it’s not very subtle. I once had a boy in high school tell me I’d be hot if I was taller. Can you imagine? (As if high school wasn’t bad enough, right?) I once had a newspaper editor tell me he’d never hire me because I looked too young because of being short. Ah well. I’ve gotten over that years ago and now that I’m over 50 I know it was his loss—and stupidity to not have hired me. Really, I’ve let that all go years ago. But, knowing what an interesting bunch of readers we have on Lady Smut, I thought I’d add this size issue into the body-image mix to consider.

And I COULD go on a bit about this issue because it runs deep in me and I’ve had to work very hard at accepting and loving my body—adding to the body image problems were my years in competitive gymnastics and pre-professional ballet. (A whole other blog post, I assure you.) But I won’t go on too much more except to say that  both of my daughters are short—my oldest one in particular and at the age of 16, she has already endured some tasteless remarks and comments. One of them was at an audition. (Seriously.) Another person told her she’d be more “sexy” if she wasn’t short. (Okay–I don’t want to think of my daughter as sexy, at all, but the remark pissed me off.)  But our daughters are exactly why we need to keep the conversation going about body image and who gets to tell us how to feel about ourselves. Not the media. Not some small-town choreographer who has never even been out of the state of Virginia. Actually it’s NOBODY. Remember: It’s rude, boring, and lazy. Let’s start telling people that. (My daughter has my permission to say “f–k you” to the next person who tries to make her feel small about her size. You do, too, okay? )

I’ve decided to celebrate not just myself but the other short women out there that are already celebrated for their beauty, talent, and sexiness—some that you may not have known were small. Like my daughters. Like my mother. Like all of my grandmothers. Like me.

images-1

Mindy Kaling 5′ 3″

Sexy Saturday Round Up

Sexy Saturday Round Up

Sexy Saturday Round Up

• Kemberlee
    February 24, 2015 at 7:44 am

Wow! Hollywood must be run by high challenged people. When you have guys like Tom Cruise, Al Pacino, Christian Slater, Daniel Radcliffe, Elijah Wood, Jet Li, and others (all 5’4″-5’7″), it’s not surprising the ladies will be short too. I’m 5’5.5″ and apparently tower over much of Hollywood.

Maybe we should take another look at how women are targeted for the likes of skinny jeans. Average height women aren’t going to fit into clothes geared at such petite people, and we die trying. Literally.

• Liz Everly
      February 24, 2015 at 7:53 am

Yes–it’s heartbreaking and dangerous that body image is so wrapped up in the perspective that Hollywood offers. I have a very hard time finding clothes to fit. That’s another whole blog post, I assure you. Those women have clothes made for them. I have to get most of my clothes cut and hemmed in order to fit me correctly. BTW, I wouldn’t wear a pair of skinny jeans if someone paid me. LOL. Nope. Not me.

• Kemberlee
        February 24, 2015 at 11:47 am

Statistics show obesity outreaches ideal body weight. I don’t know the figures, so to speak, but let’s say 60-40. If that’s the case, why are clothing stores 95% geared toward the 40%? And most larger sizes are either by catalog or online, or worse, they’re in the shops by special order at the desk? And most ugly designs and fabrics are used for larger garments. Is this a way to intimidate us into losing weight so we can fit into pretty clothes? Geez!

As it is, I buy jeans in the mens dept just so the crotch isn’t at my knees (I’m long waisted), and I buy teeshirts in the mens dept so my boobs will fit. {sigh}

• Kel
    February 24, 2015 at 11:27 am

Wait, what?

Short is super-sexy… harder to keep trim, harder to reach the things on high shelves, and harder to buy motorcycles for… but sexy.

And really, people are cruel about bodies no matter who you are or what you look like.

• Kemberlee
      February 24, 2015 at 11:43 am

Kel – When I was with my last mistake, we rode with a group. One woman was about 4’10” and road a Fat Boy (Harley). The bike shop just lowered it for her a little. She was in trouble if she dumped it, but her hubs is quite fit, in all manner, and usually always riding with her. I’ve seen bigger guys who couldn’t even handle a Sportster.

• Liz Everly
        February 24, 2015 at 12:03 pm

That’s cool, Kem. I might write a character like her. 😉

• Kemberlee
        February 24, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Liz, That would be a great story. The group we rode with were all professionals…contractors, lawyers, artists, etc. I can’t remember the woman’s name, but she was a courtroom guard. Her husband is an DEA agent 😉 He was, if I recall, over 6′. She was definitely under 5′. Even with the bike lowered, she still balanced it on her tippy toes.

• Liz Everly
      February 24, 2015 at 12:02 pm

They are. Why? I don’t get it. Why do people feel compelled to comment on body size? Does it make them feel better about themselves? I’m glad you think short is sexy. I rest my case! 😉

• Liz Everly
      February 24, 2015 at 12:04 pm
  • Tabitha Conall
    February 24, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Great post! At 5’0″ myself, I’ve gotten my share of comments. I usually brush them off because for whatever reason, I got the message very young that being short was a good thing, so I just laugh when people suggest it isn’t.

I didn’t know all those stars were short – awesome to see that!

• Liz Everly
      February 24, 2015 at 2:42 pm

How wonderful that you got the message that being short is a good thing. Fabulous! Thanks so much for commenting.

February 24, 2015 at 4:00 pm

I believe I’m “average” height, although as a lover of high heels people often think I’m taller. I am, however, pretty slim. It feels weird to blather on about skinny shaming since there are so so many women struggling with their weight. So I don’t. But I will say that I had one recent incident in which I was at a party and in front of a lot of guests one woman loudly asked me, more than once, “what I do to stay so skinny.” Hey, stupid guest, way to call unwanted attention to me. Thanks a f**king lot. I could feel my face flush and just looked away. But seriously, why is it OK to do that yet no one would dream of publicly asking a heavy women “what she does to stay so fat.”

Keeping a healthy perspective about our own body image is hard enough (and Liz, you have my sympathy about that comment you got in high school). Best to remember the ol adage about saying nothing at all if you’ve got nothing nice to say.

• Madeline Iva
    February 24, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Ultimately, I think personality goes a long way. Who knew that Cher is 5′ 3″?

They’ve actually done studies showing that people are extra aggressive towards small/cute people/animals/things. The whole “she’s so cute I wanna squeeze her to death!” reaction is very real–and it is very troublingly aggressive.

Scientists have yet to figure out where it comes from or why it’s there. They’re can’t tell if we have some innate reaction to perceived small things (a protective response) OR if it’s a hold over from our predator past. (!)

And I do have a glimmering of what you mean, Liz. I remember my first day in this creative writing class standing in a cluster with two tall poets. They were literally talking over my head the entire time. I remember thinking I was going to wear my four inch platforms next class and see if they could talk to me once I was at the same altitude. And in fact it DID make a difference. Ugh!