Cara McKenna—Rockin’ My World!

9 Jun

By Liz Everly

images Okay, so by now you know how I am about my reading. I tend to be hard to please. But when I find a writer I love, I simply must sing praises. It helps when you have a friend who has very similar reading tastes. (I’m looking at you Adriana Anders.) She posted on Facebook that this book, AFTER HOURS, was reduced in price. She also mentioned that, in her opinion, this book is everything an erotic romance should be.

Adriana did me good. Yes, indeed. This book is indeed everything an ER should be, but also, it’s everything a good book should be–McKenna is a masterful writer.  Her character are finely drawn, setting is fascinating and realistic, and the romance, lovely. But the sex??? It sizzles, baby.

So many times, I can’t get through a whole sex scene. We’ve discussed this here, right? How some of us will skip right over the sex scenes. Sometimes I like the first few, then get bored. Sometimes I hate the sex scenes from the get go. Not every writer can write sex scenes. Not even every GOOD writer can write them. It’s an extra gene some writers are born with. Or they have worked extra hard at sex scenes. Maybe it’s a little of both.

This book offers up one of the best sex scenes I’ve ever read. One sex scene is two chapters long–about 40-50 pages. This maneuver would usually bore me. But, I was riveted. I wanted more.

I read it during two very busy days in my life, where things would have gone much more smoothly for me–if I could have put the damn book down. But I couldn’t. No way. That’s how much I loved this book.

This book is a lesson the the best form for erotic romance writers everywhere—and a sheer pleasure for erotic romance readers. It’s on sale still, for .99. Grab it while you can.

Here is the blurb about the book:

A dangerous infatuation with a rough and ready man…

Erin Coffey has been a nurse for years, but nothing’s prepared her for the physical and emotional demands of her new position. Needing to move closer to her dysfunctional family, she takes a dangerous job at Larkhaven Psychiatric Hospital, where she quickly learns that she needs protection—and she meets the strong, over-confident coworker who’s more than willing to provide it.

Kelly Robak is the type of guy that Erin has sworn she’d never get involved with. She’s seen firsthand, via her mess of a sister, what chaos guys like him can bring into a woman’s life. But she finds herself drawn to him anyway, even when he shows up at her door, not eager to take no for an answer.

What Erin finds even more shocking than Kelly’s indecent proposal is how much she enjoys submitting to his every command. But he can’t play the tough guy indefinitely. If they want to have more than just an affair, both will have to open up and reveal what they truly need.

Check it out–I promise you won’t be disappointed. Also, don’t forget to enter our Goodreads giveaway for the Lady Smut Book of Dark Desires.

DarkDesires

Click on the cover to hop on over to Goodreads to enter the contest.

11 Responses to “Cara McKenna—Rockin’ My World!”

1. rebeccablackwords June 9, 2015 at 4:10 am #

She’s one of my favourite writers. Full. Stop. IMHO this is one of her best books, but she has a great back catalogue too.

2. adrianaanders June 9, 2015 at 7:21 am #

So glad you liked this book! And yes, it certainly looks like we share some taste in books!

• Liz Everly June 9, 2015 at 8:29 am #

Indeed! Can’t wait to read your book when it comes out!

3. Madeline Iva June 9, 2015 at 9:11 am #

Can’t wait to check it out!

4. Kiersten Hallie Krum June 9, 2015 at 11:08 am #

Here at Lady Smut, we *love* Cara McKenna. At this point, she should probably have her own page! I talked about Hard Time in my post on love letters (https://ladysmut.com/2015/04/20/have-we-lost-the-art-of-love-letters/) and Madeline Iva did a great interview with her last year (https://ladysmut.com/2014/12/04/stuff-that-stocking-with-wild-holiday-nights-qa-cara-mckenna/). Alexa Day mentioned McKenna’s Willing Victim in her post on sexy fighters (https://ladysmut.com/2015/03/22/no-holds-barred-sexy-fighters/) and I touched on her book Curio when I talked about male prostitutes as romance heroes (https://ladysmut.com/2015/01/05/hero-for-hire-male-prostitutes-as-romance-heroes/).

Hard Time is *such* a great book, so engrossing and enticing and *hot*. It sucks you in first with the letters and then with the sizzling scenes, but it’s the emotional stakes that resonant most, in my opinion. I also strongly recommend After Hours for an unusual couple who unexpectedly find exactly what they need in each other…eventually. I can’t wait for Cara McKenna’s next book!

5. Liz Everly June 9, 2015 at 12:50 pm #

You know, she is one of those writers whose name I kept reading about and hearing and I just never had the right moment to read one of her books. (I have a long list of writers like this–so many books, so little time!) I’m so glad I did. It’s renewed my faith in the genre. SERIOUSLY.

6. socalgal5 June 9, 2015 at 1:25 pm #

I love Cara McKenna’s work. After Hours and Hard Time are so good. May I put a recommendation in for her book Unbound? It has femdom and the rugged highlands of Scotland. This is probably my favorite of her work that I have read so far.

• Liz Everly June 9, 2015 at 1:55 pm #

Ooooo. Thanks! We always welcome recommendations!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Back in Business. Ain’t it Grand? | Lady Smut - November 16, 2015

[…] you can see in my review of her book Hard Time along with Liz Everly’s look at After Hours (another great), and Madam Iva’s interview with Ms. […]

2. Modern Lust: A Lady Smut Guest Post With Cara McKenna | Lady Smut - July 11, 2016

[…] Cara McKenna, Rocking My World […]