By Liz Everly
Every once in awhile we here at Lady Smut delve into our obsessions. It’s been awhile for me, so I thought it was about time.
1. I’ve started watching “Orange is the New Black.” We all know how behind I am on pop culture things. It’s like I’m constantly playing catch up since I’ve become a parent. I don’t really mind–I’m not much of a pop culture person. but in this case, I’ve said to myself, “self, you need to pay more attention!” This show is amazing. I’m not through with the first season yet. In-credible show.
2. Lemon water. Oh yes. That’s it. I’ve been drinking it by the gallons this summer. They say it detoxes your system. I don’t know, but I love it. In fact, I crave it. I don’t know how I will survive in NYC a week without my own stay of lemon water.
3. Cara McKenna. Why are her books not found at my local libraries? I can’t afford all the books I want. Oh Cara, let’s get you into the library.
4. The RWA Annual conference in NYC. I’m not sure I’ll even ever been halfway prepared. But it is bound to be a hoot meeting some folks I’ve only known online. I can only take so many panels and often find myself overwhelmed and sipping a cold one in the bar. I am thrilled to be able to go this year.
5. Research. I know that sounds dreadfully boring to many of you. But I totally adore research. And I’ve been doing a lot of it for the historical I’m writing. Not a romance, alas. But I am working in some romantic elements and hoping to hook up with some historical folks at RWA. (See #4)
6. Paul McCartney and the Beatles.
My husband and I took our daughters to their first rock concert. We agreed this one would be worth the price and the experience for our daughters. It was. And it was worth all of the crap we had to do to get there and get home. The crowds, the rain, the parking garage dramatics. This concert sort of set the tone for much of our family conversation this summer. We’ve been talking about the music, the lyrics, the history. How some of McCartney’s songs capture characters so well, in such few words. What a talent!
How about you? What are you obsessing about this summer?