Love Thyself – It’s Masturbation Month!

4 May

By Elizabeth Shore

May is an awesome month, isn’t it? The weather’s finally nice, flowers are in full bloom, and love is in the air. Self love, that is. Even if you’re not involved in any kind of relationship with another person, May is the time of year when you most certainly should be celebrating a committed relationship with yourself. Why? Because, my friends, as our pals over at kinkly.com recently reminded us, May is National Masturbation Month.

It’s said that 98% of people masturbate and the other 2% are liars. So c’mon, everyone. Go ahead and spank that bishop. Flick that bean. Engage in a little hand to gland combat. Whatever your euphemism of choice, May is the time to get out there and show yourself some love.

For women, there have long been gadgets galore to help us with solo sex. Dildos and vibrators are commonplace. As one friend of mine lamented as she flicked through the catalogue at a Passion Party we were attending, “The last thing I need is yet another dildo.” It hasn’t historically been the same way for men, who for years have been perfectly content to beat their meat using nothing but a well-practiced hand. Recent years, however, have seen the rise in the “guybrator” and other toys specifically designed for men. Why? I found an article on salon.com that quotes Leo Debois, co-founder of adamstoybox.com, an online retailer offering a virtual smorgasbord of male sex toys. Debois says that straight men in particular are becoming more familiar with the amazing sensation of prostate stimulation during sex and they want toys to enhance their pleasure.

Because men are buying more toys, the amount of choices are increasing as well. Going beyond the “Fleshlight,” men can choose from among options such as guybrators, sleeves, prostate stimulators, and anal pleasure toys. And – bonus points! – many of these toys can also be used in couple play.

But hey, let’s stay focused on going solo, shall we? We’re celebrating Masturbation Month, after all, and this year marks its 21st anniversary. It all began back in 1995 in San Francisco and has been noted every year since. Yet the marking of this month is far from a hallowed hullabaloo. Masturbation to this day has a slightly shameful or embarrassing association, and that’s just ALL WRONG. First off (heh), it’s a natural thing to do. Second, talk to most men and they’ll tell you that watching a  woman masturbate is one of the hottest things she can do for her partner. And women, I dare say, feel the same. It can be a huge turn on watching your man masturbate for you, as I mentioned last year in a post about mutual masturbation. It’s intimate, it shows he trusts you, you can learn what pleases him, and – perhaps first and foremost – it’s just incredibly, scorching-hot sexy.

bestfriendsnever_800 (1You want another reason why May’s an awesome month? Because we’re celebrating the releae of our own Isabelle Drake’s new book, Best Friends Never. It’s Book 1 in her Cherry Grove series, and is a fast-paced, suspenseful YA where secrets are plentiful, and nothing is what it seems. Do yourself a favor and grab a copy. It’ll be another way of giving yourself a little love.

 

Elizabeth Shore writes both contemporary and historical erotic romance. Her recent releases include Hot Bayou Nights and The Lady Smut Book of Dark Desires. Her newest book, released April 29th, is an erotic historical novella, Desire Rising, from The Wild Rose Press. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 Responses to “Love Thyself – It’s Masturbation Month!”

  1. Madeline Iva May 4, 2016 at 9:28 am #

    At one point we shared an apartment with two guys. One guy was gay. The other guy was breaking into gay guy’s room when gay guy wasn’t there to ponder his finger like anal vibrator and his gay porn.

    Couldn’t tell if there was a squick factor involved, some buried homo-erotic yearnings, or some combo of the two. All I can say is that he was like the moth to the flame….

    I can only *hope* all you good women out there are masturbating — (I *know* the bad women are. ; > ) But I don’t think it’s as much a given with older women as it should be…

    It’s going to be fascinating to see how the co-sleeping generation does when puberty hits and the family still doesn’t value ‘private time’ at night…

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: