Shaking Off The Tryptophan and Getting Your Mojo Back

30 Nov

By Elizabeth Shore

Hey Sexies! I was hanging with my peeps in Wisconsin over the holiday so didn’t have time for a properly written post. However, I’m giving you inspiration for getting your after-Thanksgiving groove back with this blog post from our friends over at The Muse. Enjoy, and I’ll see you next week. xo…Elizabeth

Reblogged from The Muse

Feeling Completely Unmotivated Today? Here Are 3 Ways to Be Productively Unproductive

9 Responses to “Shaking Off The Tryptophan and Getting Your Mojo Back”

1. Mischa Eliot November 30, 2016 at 8:37 am #

I would also recommend using some form of timer, such as the Pomodoro app. There is a free lite version. You work for up to 25 minutes, then take a break. Work again, another break. You can also set the task and switch from one project to another to stave off the blech feeling of laziness.

Liked by 1 person

• Madeline Iva November 30, 2016 at 10:47 am #

Breaks! Yes, totally! Even an egg timer or your calendar on your phone…I often try 45 minutes on, 15 off–but taking the time off with a little break, I try to choose an activity that has an easy, swift end point–like filing my nails or eating an orange.

Liked by 1 person

• Mischa Eliot November 30, 2016 at 10:49 am #

Break times are excellent for snacks. I know it’s recommended not to hit social media during breaks or you might get sucked into the realm of wasted time.

• Elizabeth Shore November 30, 2016 at 3:14 pm #

Really good suggestion, Mischa. A writer friend of mine and I have been doing 1K1Hour writing sprints, and it’s fabulous how satisfied I feel when we’re done. Knowing someone else is plugging away and that we have to report our word count after that one hour pushes us both to buckle down and focus hard the whole time. It’s astonishing how much you can get done when you drive every other distraction away and just WRITE.

Liked by 1 person

• Mischa Eliot November 30, 2016 at 3:18 pm #

I enjoy writing sprints. It’s fun knowing others are there with you. I’m a deadline writer. If there’s a deadline my best work is within a couple of days of that deadline (talking short stories here). I also find I write amazing on my lunch breaks. I can write up to 900 words in 25 minutes – words worth keeping, too. You can’t beat adding pressure to get good writing done.

Liked by 1 person

• Elizabeth Shore November 30, 2016 at 3:17 pm #

The problem with breaks is they have me wandering into the kitchen…

Liked by 1 person

2. Madeline Iva November 30, 2016 at 10:49 am #

This is a great article–and I want to look up the links. Apparently, email is a real time-sink and you’re not back into ‘deep focus’ until 25 minutes after you last checked your email. So I try to only check in once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I also use a good filing system to clear out the inbox so I don’t waste time and energy looking for emails I need. (Usually for ongoing projects.) If something was really important then I probably replied to it. So if it’s not ongoing, I delete it. I can find it in my Sent box if I need to.

• Elizabeth Shore November 30, 2016 at 3:16 pm #

Email is a noxious, evil, time-sucking machine. It’s incredibly distracting and can easily consume the entire day. Someone once gave me a suggestion of timers on email. A one-hour check in the morning, a one-hour check at the end of the day and that’s it. No sneaking peeks in between those times. It’s astonishingly freeing – and productive – to operate that way.